Sync issues all over the place, mac to mac (online folder) and mac to ios wifi (wifi server)

Options
LosInvalidos
LosInvalidos
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Mac

Got a new mac. Tried to setup 1Password and ran into quite a few issues doing so. Machines in setup: mac 1, mac 2 and mac 3 (new).

To get back to a known working state I restored from a backup on mac 1. Stopped sync on other macs, removed all items from problematic vault on mac 2 + 3. Re-enable sync with fault in keybase.

This is where thing get interesting:

Problem 1: number of items does not add up and items show up in trash

While I the sync is happening on mac 2 I see the number of items in trash on mac 1 go up to almost 600, while the number of items in vault goes from around 700 to 520. That doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know why any item would show in trash at all.

Once sync is done I end up with the following situation:
mac 1 (10.14.4) - vault in question: 522 items, 583 items in trash
mac 2 (10.13.6) - vault in question: 520 items, 609 items in trash

That leaves me puzzled on so many levels:
1.1 How can it be that from the same vault file the number of active items does differ?
1.2 Why are items - at all - moved to the trash? Both macs run 7.3b12 but different versions of macOS.
1.3 looking at the trash I see that items exist 3 times some once some twice. some exist in trash and vault some only in vault some only in trash.
1.4 When creating a backup (before the sync and trash situation) the number of items goes up ~60, I have no idea where the additional 60 items would have come from.

Next step: back to 7.2.5 stable release.
mac 1 install 7.2.5 restore from backup with correct state
mac 2 install 7.2.5
mac 2 disable sync and remove all items
mac 1 rename current opvault file in keybase to start with a fresh intact version
mac 1 setup sync and create new opvault file in keybase
mac 2 setup sync and use newly created opvault file from keybase

Success: number of items matches and no items in the trash.

I'll leave this report nonetheless since others may be running into similar situations and as feedback regarding 7.3b12 for developers. You may want to double check syncing with online folders works as expected for the 7.3 release.

Now trying to sync to iOS over wifi and running into further trouble: after closing and reopening 1p, it crashes repeatadly after spiking in CPU.
Crash: https://bin.disroot.org/?5c39f0d5bcf874ca#MIkoJ9x/aLXdKWFAG2Fh6BFtdP2Pc7F2hmbiOvNfYzM=
Spin Dump: https://bin.disroot.org/?ce120d60d1315a5c#WvsHtR+6wavIJjSqOCCeN6t0yUOebKI/ydSu4LWADzA=
Process Sample: https://bin.disroot.org/?ecb3e107b3bb8ee5#FWvLGiABVTardeww8hquU+RMxuucDQbvOrKV1/IhzWg=
(bin 30 days, please create a copy if needed)

This seems to be somewhat related to runnning wifi sync. not sure how to resolve that part so that remains an open issue.

I don't have time to debug this further at this very moment.

Bonus question: seems in the process I have lost the 1password.com items. Probably while clearing vault items while debugging. Do backups exist of those online items?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: online folder + wifi server

Comments

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

iOS sync also resolved by ignoring issues with mac 2 10.13.6 and using mac 3 10.14.4 as wifi server and resetting iOS 1password instances.

consider this case closed, although it feels like there are a few issues that could be addressed along the way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LosInvalidos!

Thank you for the update! I am happy to hear sync is working again for you.

If you are using the WLAN server, so many things can interfere with the sync process. If something like this happens again, please follow the WLAN troubleshooting article to see if it helps. But in general we recommend using 1Password.com, where the sync is much more stable than over Wi-Fi.

Bonus question: seems in the process I have lost the 1password.com items. Probably while clearing vault items while debugging. Do backups exist of those online items?

Can you please clarify what you mean by this?

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

With the 1password.com account I accidentally removed all items. But was able to use the restore function. So all set now.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. One of the great things about 1Password.com. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.