Keychain Access Conversion Script Error Help

aquas
aquas
Community Member

Hi, while following the directions in Agilebits/extra help/"Import from iCloud-only keychain.txt" I got to the step where I run the Apple Script in Script Editor to automate entering the password for 160 items and I get an error:

error "System Events got an error: Script Editor is not allowed assistive access." number -1719 from window 1 of process "SecurityAgent"

Prior to that, I created a new keychain with the same password as my computer login, selected 160 items (Is there a reason for the 160 items? Is it a limit?) from my iCloud Keychain, right-clicked to "copy 160 items," pasted 160 items in the new keychain and tried to run the Apple Script.

I would be very appreciative of any guidance. At the same time, I understand that Apple is protective of our systems and perhaps, is trying to prevent the very action I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud Keychain Access

Comments

• aquas
    aquas
    Community Member

UPDATE: don't spin your wheels. It seems I am unable to paste a single item in the new keychain while manually entering my password. ATM, my problem doesn't seem to be the script. I'll post back... TIA

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2019

@aquas ,

macOS High Sierra, Sierra, and Safari have changed significantly, and typically creating a copy of the iCloud keychain fails more than it succeeds.

You want to use the Get_Safari12_Passwords app/script that comes with the converter suite to get your Safari passwords. You don't need to export anything for this.

FYI: the error message you note above is due to not allowing Script Editor Assistive Access permission. You must enable Script Editor in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility and add/check Script Editor.

The 160 items was just the number a particular user had in his keychain - nothing magical about this number.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @aquas! I'm sorry for the trouble. @MrC appears to already be all over this one, but sorry for the confusion and let us know how things turn out or if you still need assistance. :)

• aquas
    aquas
    Community Member

Thank you @MrC and @Lars! I figured out the Script Editor Assistive Access permission, but still had an error. Then, I stumbled upon the Get_Safari12_Passwords script, ran it and imported it. Yay! Now I'm just cleaning up all the duplicate passwords I created back in the old, and naive days of account creation. It's rather satisfying, and I really like the feature of being able to customize a label, well done!

I am satisfied with my care, thank you.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2019

Fantastic, @aquas ,

At some point, I'll move all the notes about converting a Keychain directly into an unsupported area, just for reference, since few users will be on these older macOS / Safari versions.

With the next macOS update, I'll create a separate Safari section in the README which references Get_Safari12_Passwords. I don't want to make these changes yet, since Apple continues to change with each release macOS / Safari in a way that impacts these scripts, and they will be requiring code Notarization (its not clear to me what is required for Applescripts yet).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.