Safari extension is super slow to pop up and show fill options.

Options
jamesb303
jamesb303
Community Member

Often times the Safari extension is super slow to pop up and show fill options. Is there a fix for this? I've been experiencing it for many months and may have even gone through an upgrade with the same issue. A search on the forum didn't pop up a related answer right away so I thought I'd send this message.

I'm currently using Safari 12.1.

Thanks for any help!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension slow

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesb303 - Safari 12 and 1Password 6 for Mac is a non-workable combination, long-term. Apple made substantial changes in version 12 to the entire extensions format, retiring the older, .safariextz-style extensions we'd all become accustomed to (and which 1Password 6 for Mac requires) with the newer Safari App Extensions format. 1Password 7 for Mac includes this new format of Safari extension, but since version 6 entered legacy mode and was no longer receiving further development attention or retroactive compatibility fixes prior to the release of Safari 12, it (version 6 of 1Password) doesn't have the newer extension format, and won't ever have it.

I'm not quite sure what might be causing the slowness you're experiencing, but it's not something we're going to be fixing at this point if it turns out to be an increasing incompatibility between Safari 12 and the 4.7.3.90 extension required by 1Password 6 for Mac. To be clear, right now, you can still install that older-style extension into Safari 12, but that won't be true for much longer (exactly how much, we don't know, but Apple have already removed support entirely from the current Safari Technology Preview release 81 -- so I can't imagine it will be too much longer in stable Safari). So the way forward is definitely going to be upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac if you plan to continue using Safari as your browser of choice on the Mac. Another possibility would be to switch to either Chrome or Firefox or one of the Chrome derivatives such as Vivaldi if you want to keep using 1Password 6 for Mac, as those browsers continue to use the 4.7.3.90 extension format. Hope this helps! :)

• jamesb303
    jamesb303
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize version 7 was necessary. Guess I'll be upgrading to the monthly plan.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesb303 - to make sure I'm not misinforming you, it's NOT strictly required...yet. But it will be in the not-too-distant future. And yes, upgrading to a 1password.com membership is a fantastic decision. You can choose monthly if you prefer, but the annual option is cheaper ($3.99/mo vs $35.88/year in USD, which works out to $2.99/mo). But for that, you get ALL of our native applications including all future upgrades for as long as you maintain the account. No more worrying about versions and licensing and the like: just install the newest version as soon as it becomes available, and continue on with your life. And if you should switch devices or add a new Android tablet or something? No new version to buy. Just download and go.

You also get all the other benefits that come with a 1password.com account, including iterative per-item history, Travel Mode, and more. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.