I just started using iPassword and I can't sign in to the site I set up a new iPassword on

Options
RichardRottman
RichardRottman
Community Member

I just started my membership. I went to a site and used my old password to sign in. I went to change my password using iPassword and it generated a complicated password. When I went to sign in, the site didn't automatically fill in the new ipassword. I attempted to use my password that I use for ipassword and it didn't work. HELP!!!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I just started using iPassword and I can't sign in to the site I set up a new iPassword on

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @RichardRottman -- and to 1Password! If you're new to 1Password, you may want to review the guide to changing your passwords and making them stronger. It sounds as if this may not have been what you did? You need to do the following. If you've never had this particular site saved in 1Password for Mac, enter your credentials manually, and 1Password should offer to save them for you. Accept this and save the item. If you do have this site stored in 1Password already, you should be able to fill the saved credentials by clicking the 1Password extension in your browser's toolbar OR using ⌘\ keystroke combination. Once you're signed into the site:

1. Find the site's Change Password page (location varies from site to site; usually in "Profile" or "Settings" or "Account," but you may have to look around).
    2. Use 1Password's generator to create and fill a new, longer and stronger password for you (this will also usually - but not always - require to re-enter your existing password a second time), then click "Change" or "Submit" or whatever the button says.
    3. 1Password for Mac should detect the change, and offer you the chance to either save this as a new item (some people have multiple accounts at the same website), or Update an Existing item.

That's the method of changing a password using a generated password, and updating the item within 1Password. Hope this helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

• RichardRottman
    RichardRottman
    Community Member
    Options

I finally was able to change my password on one site to start. I assume that this will automatically work on my laptop computer as well as my iPad and iPhone. I'm not sure how that happens however.

Also, I don't think that I understand how this makes my data more secure. If someone has access to any of my devices (an unlocked computer, for example), and goes to the site which is now protected by iPassword, it seems all they have to do is go to the log in page and click the iPassword icon-everything gets filled in and they can access every piece of information on that site. When do I even use my secret password that I made up?

• RichardRottman
    RichardRottman
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I need a primer on how to use this program. I didn't see anything when I signed up. Can you tell me where I might find such documentation?

• Ben
    Options

@RichardRottman

All of our documentation can be found here:

1Password Support

Also, I don't think that I understand how this makes my data more secure.

One of the main points of having a password manager is that it allows you to use a secure unique password for each site that you don't have to memorize. This is one of the biggest problems with breaches — most folks choose one poor password and use it or a slight variation of it everywhere. When one site stores passwords improperly and gets compromised the stolen data is incredibly valuable in targeting anyone who re-used that password (or slight variation) on other (perhaps more important) sites. For example... let's say your dog's name is Fluffy and you were born in 67. You might've chosen a password like FluffyGoodBoy67!. This checks the password requirements boxes for most sites. It has a capital letter, a number, a special character, and it is 16 characters long. But is a terrible password. Worse yet, you might've used this password a whole bunch of places including your email account, your bank, Facebook, etc.

Let's say you also used it at somerinkydinksite.com because they sell widgets that are applicable to your hobby and you've gotta have the latest widget. But somerinkydinksite.com is a small mom & pop operation and they don't know anything about encryption so they've been storing your password in plain text on their web server. Somebody hacks somerinkydinksite.com and gets your credentials which include your email address and your password. Now they've got access not only to somerinkydinksite.com but also your email account, your bank, your Facebook, et al. They've basically become you. Not a good situation to find yourself in.

It doesn't even have to be a small mom & pop operation. A number of large companies have been found to store this kind of information improperly. Or maybe even one of your acquaintance knows you have a good boy named Fluffy and that you were born in '67 and boom, same result.

Something like Z.YhpddPeVFuL($wVyQ&E2Fb># is a much better password (I just generated it with 1Password).

If someone has access to any of my devices (an unlocked computer, for example), and goes to the site which is now protected by iPassword, it seems all they have to do is go to the log in page and click the iPassword icon-everything gets filled in and they can access every piece of information on that site. When do I even use my secret password that I made up?

1Password automatically locks after a period of inactivity. You can customize that timeout in 1Password > Preferences > Security. Ideally other people shouldn't be using your user account on your computer at all, but if that is unavoidable you should at least be sure 1Password is locked before they do. You'll also have to enter the Master Password any time the computer is restarted.

Does that help?

Ben

• RichardRottman
    RichardRottman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you
    Do I have to install iPassword separately on my iPhone, iPad and laptop, in addition to my desktop Mac (already installed)? Also, will they all sync automatically? Or do I have to do something on each device?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardRottman - you need to install a 1Password app everywhere you plan to use 1Password. We've got native applications for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android, all of which are available through our downloads page.

If you have a 1password.com membership/account, then yes - sync happens automatically. Just sign into your account within the 1Password app on each device you want to use 1Password on, and you should be all set.

This discussion has been closed.