Safari 12.1 some how lost its extension - normal methods to fix don't work

LindaP
LindaP
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Mac

I have searched the forums and found the instructions to quit Safari, uncheck a box in 1PW preferences and completely quit 1PW. This did not work. I have noticed that when I uncheck the Preferences box, this box does not stay unchecked.

What is the most bothersome is I can not use 1PW open & fill on websites. I must copy and paste everything from 1PW. I am thinking I may have to uninstall 1PW and reinstall. If yes, please send directions or a link.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not known
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:no extension for safari 12.x

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LindaP: Can you tell me what happens when you try to use the Safari App Extension using the keyboard ( ⌘ \ ) or mouse? That might help narrow down the cause of the issue on your machine.

• LindaP
    LindaP
    Community Member

The Safari App Extension doesn't seem to exist. There is no longer an icon for it in the toolbar. And, I cannot add it through the Safari extensions as it is part of 1PW 7.

• LindaP
    LindaP
    Community Member

And it is not in the list of extensions in Safari Preferences, Extensions.

• LindaP
    LindaP
    Community Member

When I use the keyboard (command backslash), 1PW comes up, but I cannot click on anything. It says turn on 1PW extension. There is a box to click on below that message that says open extension preferences in Safari, but when I click on it, I hear a beep, but nothing happens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LindaP: The main 1Password app is what handles keyboard shortcuts, so that makes sense -- it should work even without any extension in any browser. :) Anyway, please try the following:

1. Uncheck/remove 1Password in Safari Preferences > Extensions (if you can, that may not be possible)
    2. Quit Safari
    3. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q
    4. Drag any copies of 1Password to the Trash
    5. Check for any updates in System Preferences > Software Update and complete them
    6. Restart your Mac
    7. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    8. Open 1Password
    9. Open Safari Preferences > Extensions and toggle 1Password there to disable and then enable it

Let me know how it goes. :)

• LindaP
    LindaP
    Community Member

You are an absolute genius! Wow! You did it!

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have this resolved. I had visions of having to go to a Time Machine back-up and may be missing something important. You saved the day. Thank you!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Thanks for letting me know that worked for you. I'm also glad that you're back up and running without having to do anything like restore from a backup. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.