I can't get 1password to autofill.

Options
JoeV
JoeV
Community Member

My trial period for 1password is almost up and I haven't been able to get it to autofill in Safari. I tried to import from SplashID, but that didn't work so I'm starting from scratch. The extension is in Safari and active, and when I go to a web site and arrive at the login page and type in a username and password the 1password dialog pops up asking for my key and offering to save the login info, to which I agree. I can then open the 1password app and see the login entry there with the correct url, username, and password. However, when I log out of the site and try to log back in and arrive at the login window and type cmd-\ I get a list of possible logins. When I select the correct one and click "open & fill" Safari just opens another tab with the same login page and nothing filled in. Repeating cmd-\ just repeats the process.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Safari doesn't autofill

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @JoeV! I'm sorry for the trouble! Since the trial period is 30 days and you say it's "almost up," I presume you've restarted your Mac in that time period? If not, or if you can't remember, I'd definitely suggest that first. If you have done so and that hasn't affected things, my next question would be: have you tried this with a different browser? Does it happen in all browsers? Or only Safari? If you're not sure, try Chrome or Firefox and let me know whether that works for you. You'll also want to make sure "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" is checked in Preferences > Browsers. Finally, I'd give the troubleshooting steps found in this guide a try. Let us know how you get on! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JoeV , if you want to try importing from SplashID again and need some assistance, I'm happy to help you.

• JoeV
    JoeV
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice, Lars. You seem to be helping everybody on this forum. Your suggestions were good ones. It's unclear whether I had restarted the Mac recently, so I did that. I also installed a new version of Chrome from Google's website and the 1password extension for Chrome from yours, but the result was pretty similar. Clicking cmd-\ and then selecting the 1password record results after some significant delay in another Chrome tab with the same login screen request as the first tab. However, things are better. I now get this result with only about 50% of the web sites I've tried, and 50% autofill correctly. I'm now thinking that there's confusion about the website login page url, and 1password is not finding the correct item in the vault, even though 1password put it there and it looks reasonable to me. I think I need to play around with this more to see if I can find a pattern regarding what works and what doesn't.

To MrC, thanks for your offer of help. I may take you up on it after I get the above problem sorted. The problem with my first import attempt is that 1password successfully imported 286 items from SplashID, but called them all secure notes, though most are login items (broadly defined). I could see no easy way to change a secure note to a login item without creating a new login item and typing all the information in, thus the import saved no effort whatsoever. Also SplashID appears to support many record types which 1password does not, including user-defined ones. There are many hardware and software items which I log into that require a user ID and password, but don't have a (fixed) web address, such as cameras, routers, encrypted disk volumes, and as such don't seem to be either login items or passwords as defined by 1password. Maybe somebody has suggestions for these.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JoeV

I’ll be here if/when you need help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise. Let us know how it goes. :)

This discussion has been closed.