Feature Request: "Type"

Options
jeffijoe
jeffijoe
Community Member

I just started my trial and loving it so far! I was needing to insert a GitHub personal access token into my terminal, and "Fill" obviously doesn't work because it would want to open a browser. So I had to use "Copy", but now that password is on my clipboard, and I use Alfred's clipboard history, so that means it gets saved there, which isn't such a good idea. 😅

Would it be possible to add a new type of action, "Type it out" that would skip the clipboard by telling the OS to "type it out"?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jeffijoe -- and to 1Password! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying things so far. 1Password 4 for Windows used to use a technology called AutoType to effect what it sounds like you're asking about, but version 7 does not have this functionality yet (though I'm told it's on the priority list -- just not near the top). However, 1Password for Mac has never had anything similar, for various reasons. It's something we can certainly consider for the future, however, if we can find a way to do it in a way that doesn't open security vulnerabilities. In the meantime, you should be able to make an app-level exception to Alfred or other clipboard-management software, to never record anything in history for a specific app, however. Hope that helps! :)

• jeffijoe
    jeffijoe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars, I’ll see if thats possible 😀

It was also more to save another 2 keystrokes hehe

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeffijoe - ah, gotcha: the neverending quest to reduce keystrokes. This is something we think about as well, so we're always interested in new technologies that we can potentially incorporate into 1Password that may save our users some clicks/keystrokes. And we're always resistant to anything that actually increases the number of keystrokes necessary for common operations. Sometimes it's unavoidable: recently, in Safari 12, Apple decided to remove the ability of apps to simulate the press of the Enter key. This is the very method we'd been using to effect our auto-submit feature in 1Password for Mac (fill the fields, then simulate pressing the enter key). It worked fairly well, but as Apple pointed out, simulating the press of a key as important as "Enter" is something that should never be done by script, and it's how some of the most-destructive malware out there wreaked its havoc. So, rather than trying to figure out a way around the clear wishes of the OS developer, we removed auto-submit functionality even though we knew it would require every user of 1Password for Mac to use an extra keystroke (Enter) after filling. We think, on balance, the trade-off is worth it...but these aren't easy decisions to make, and we don't take them lightly. Thanks for weighing in on this topic with your wishes, and although I have nothing to announce on it currently, we'll definitely be keeping an eye on how we can streamline your experience. Have a great rest of your week! :)

• jeffijoe
    jeffijoe
    Community Member
    Options

Absolutely! I agree that hitting Enter after filling might be too much because of the reason Apple stated.

No 2 keystrokes are created equal. For example, hitting Enter twice (one to fill, one to submit) is way less work than doing Cmd+V -> Enter.

"Fill" as far as I know, tries to find the right input to fill, whereas "Write" or "Type" as I am suggesting would fill the currently focused field with whatever attribute of the item you're on in 1P (which currently says Copy). For example, the flow would be:

1. Focus field in whatever app
    2. Open 1P with keyboard shortcut
    3. Search for the item
    4. Hit Right-arrow on keyboard to focus attributes, then Down-arrow until the attribute I am looking for is focused (this came naturally to me, so great work!)
    5. Hit Enter, this writes out the content to the currently selected textbox (should not replace, just insert)

The above works today, with the exception of step 5, which currently copies the attribute to the clipboard, and then I need to Cmd+V -> Enter.

I was changing my Twitter password, and using the keyboard shortcuts I navigated to the Strong Password Generator, and when I hit "Fill", it would overwrite the "current password" field rather than fill in the field I had focused, so there's another use case. :)

Have a great weekend!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing this feedback @jeffijoe! And have a great weekend too :)

This discussion has been closed.