Redesign of the browser extension popup

DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member

I had to come across as a Luddite but I find the redesign of the popup window in the Firefox browser extension to be distinctly non-helpful. Before it would display the probably site, the credit cards and the personal info items, all of which I use with about equal frequency. In the redesign is requires two extra clicks: one to drop down the list of item types and the second to choose one. I frankly don't see what was wrong with the prior design but I see a lot wrong with the new design. Some of these changes seem to be driven by an effort to make a fashion statement rather than an effort to focus on functionality.

I know that people are infinitely flexible and that we can "learn" to use practically anything, no matter how awkward it may be but it seems like every software vendor lately has been making things less usable in the name of aesthetics, or simply because they believe that if they don't keep changing things people will get bored. Personally I would rather be bored than frustrated. The way things are going, the gap between the relatively low usability of Linux and the decreasing usability of Mac and Windows will converge. Then the Linux desktop will finally stand a chance.

Need an example? Just look at Windows new Linux terminal file manager. It looks just like one that I used to use on my H89 running CP/M in 1981. My, we've come a long way?

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DoctorDan - thanks for the feedback. There are some revisions coming to the 7.3 update that should be along in fairly short order (and are already available in Beta). I'm not sure exactly what you'd like to see, specifically, but if you'd like to get a sense of some of the changes to the new mini that are on the horizon, I'd invite you to check the box marked "Include Beta builds" in Preferences > Updates and join us out here on the bleeding edge. We'd love get your feedback in the Mac Beta forum if you decide to do that, since, contrary to what you suggested above, we enjoy hearing from our users about what they like, didn't like, problems they've had, etc, instead of just designing to try to "make a fashion statement." Usability is a HUGE portion of what drives 1Password development/design, since software people don't understand, don't like, or find otherwise off-putting is software they won't use...or purchase. We do have a large-enough user base, however, to make it impossible for us to be all things to all people, which is why we enjoy hearing differing perspectives before incorporating that along with our own best judgment to create a product that we hope hits a sweet spot of being powerful and flexible enough for most "power users," while remaining accessible and easy-to-use enough for your parents.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The discussion above is about an older release of 1Password 7. Feedback on the newer 7.3 changes can be found here.

This discussion has been closed.