Locked Out of All Devices

mmarino137
mmarino137
Community Member

Hello all,

To start off, my computer in which I use 1Password the most, recently fried out. Now, I still have the hard drive and is in use and can be used with the new computer.

However. for some reason, I am signed out on all of my 1Password accounts (iPhone, iPad, etc.) and therefore have no way to access my account to recover anything.

I originally downloaded the app from the Mac App Store many years ago and have had it synced between all my devices, however, not a single one of them is appearing, nor is it providing the backup files on the hard drive from the old computer.

I mostly used it as a chrome extension to the browser for my passwords, but now it appears I cannot even log into the app, nonetheless rescue my passwords and am completely lost as to what to do. I've tried every troubleshooting option available and cannot seem to find a solution. There are no files on the hard drive that match the name, no backups (found) on icloud, therefore I'm lost and panicking.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best,
Michael

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mmarino137! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble.

To start off, my computer in which I use 1Password the most, recently fried out.

Any story that begins that way is bound to have at least some pain in it. Let's see what we can do to minimize it and make things better.

There are two ways to use 1Password these days. The first is with standalone data. This is the way it's been done since the beginning: you download/install our app, create your data locally on your own device, and then you can (but don't have to) sync it with other devices on which you want to use 1Password, by one of our 3rd party, advanced sync methods like iCloud or Dropbox. This is still possible to do. The second way to use 1Password is with a 1password.com account. My guess, since you didn't say, is that you've been using the first method, if you've been using 1Password for a long time -- but let me not make any assumptions: do you have a 1password.com membership?

If you originally purchased/installed 1Password from the Mac App Store, then your data on your old hard drive would be located at:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

You should also be able to locate backups at:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

If you were previously syncing your data via iCloud, you should also be able to use the data there. Can you tell us a bit more about what's happened recently and what your setup looks like? 1Password will not simply, on multiple devices, "lock you out" of your data. Please let us know:

• What specific version of 1Password you have installed (and on what device(s)).
    • What specific version of macOS you're running.
    • How you sync your data
    • Anything else you think might be relevant: changes to your devices or your 1Password setup recently (prior to the problem), etc.

Thanks! :)

• mmarino137
    mmarino137
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Indeed, I assume I am a stand=alone user and have been syncing between my devices manually.

I purchased it from the Mac App Store in January 2017 (Version 6.8.9) appears to be the latest version I was using.

My Hard Drive was indeed recoverable and I have it in an enclosure, (optimistic), however in the Library folder I see no “Containers” folder. I also searched the entire hard drive for anything “agilebits” and not one file came up.

Seems like quite an odd case but since I’m logged out on all of my devices, finding this file seems quite crucial.

Thank you again for your help!

• mmarino137
    mmarino137
    Community Member

Cancel that, was able to locate the hidden Containers folder but no sight of any files that end in “.agilekeychain” or “.opvault”.

• mmarino137
    mmarino137
    Community Member

SUCCESS! The “Restore from Backup” actually worked best as it did not recognize those other files, but I’ve gotten to the welcome screen and can see my passwords again! :) I cannot thank you enough!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mmarino137, on behalf of Lars, you are very welcome! I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day! :)

This discussion has been closed.