1Password7 license question (1 MacBook and 2 users with different login usernames)

Options
jmb679
jmb679
Community Member

We (2 people) use one MBP. We have different Apple IDs and user accounts on the MBP. When my wife wants to use 1P7, she has to launch 1P7 from my MacOS login account. All of her 1P7 items are in one vault and all of my 1P7 items are in another vault. So, the question is: Can she launch 1P7 from her MacOS login account? I tested this and I get the "New to 1Password?" splash page inviting her to start a trial. Am I correct to assume that a Family account will allow her to launch from her MacOS login account? I presume, also, that a Family account has the advantage of eliminating the "work around" described above that allows her to use 1P7 in the first place?

1Password Version: Version 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password7 license

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmb679!

Can she launch 1P7 from her MacOS login account?

Yes, she should be able to do it. Indeed, it looks like she can already:

I tested this and I get the "New to 1Password?" splash page inviting her to start a trial.

So the app can indeed be launched. However, installing 1Password in a separate user account means that 1Password should be configured again for that particular user. You wrote that you are using iCloud as your sync method. Have you tried clicking on the iCloud option in the first 1Password window and select her vault in order to configure the app with the correct data?

Am I correct to assume that a Family account will allow her to launch from her MacOS login account? I presume, also, that a Family account has the advantage of eliminating the "work around" described above that allows her to use 1P7 in the first place?

Both options should work, but a Families account will cover both of your 1Password usage. If you use a standalone license, your wife needs her own license to apply to the app, while with a Families subscription, both of you can use 1Password 7 without any additional purchase.

This discussion has been closed.