all browser extensions stop working - has happened intermittenly for a # of months, fixed by reboot

sbronstein
sbronstein
Community Member

For the past # of months - I would guess more than 6 - I have experienced an issue where all of the 1password browser extensions will stop working - clicking on the icon does nothing - until I reboot my computer. The menu icon continues to open 1password mini, and I can open and use the full app.

On rare occasion, the extension will start working again after I restart the browser. I just restarted Safari and the extension started working properly. However, I then restarted Firefox and Chrome, to check those two, and the 1Password extension didn't work for either of those, and then it stopped working again for Safari. I also got a crash reporter dialog box fo 1Password extension, which I guess was probably the Safari extension.

My company uses 'Sophos Endpoint Advanced'. No other security software of note installed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

Hi @sbronstein!

What 1Password version are you currently running on your Mac?

• sbronstein
    sbronstein
    Community Member

Oops, I filled out all of the version fields before I wrote the comment, but when I restarted Chrome they apparently got blanked out.

1Password version: 7.3.BETA-12
    extension version: 4.7.3.1
    MacOS: 10.14.4
    Sync: iCloud

• Thanks @sbronstein. It sounds like something, possible Sophos, is blocking the communication between the 1Password extension and the desktop application. I would suggest uninstalling the 1Password extension from Chrome and then install 1Password X:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x-–-password-ma/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa

Does 1Password X work as expected? 1Password X communicates directly with your 1Password account, whereas the traditional extension relies on the desktop application to do that for you.

Ben

• sbronstein
    sbronstein
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. Note that this happens with all browsers, not just Chrome.

I tried out 1Password X when it launched but touch ID is a key piece of my 1password workflow so X didn't work for me before. Does X work with Touch ID yet?

• Note that this happens with all browsers, not just Chrome.

Understood; and that is actually what leads me to believe that something on your system is blocking the communication.

I tried out 1Password X when it launched but touch ID is a key piece of my 1password workflow so X didn't work for me before. Does X work with Touch ID yet?

I suggested 1Password X just to see if similar issues occurred with it, not necessarily as a long term solution. Touch ID support is coming to 1Password X, but it will rely on a similar communication channel to 1Password for Mac that the traditional desktop application requires (i.e. it probably won't work if the traditional extension doesn't work).

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.