1Password7 stops responding

Options
pcaley
pcaley
Community Member

I am having an issue whereas I have to close out Safari and reopen it each time I want to "open and fill" a saved password. I have reinstalled the browser extension, restarted the computer, etc. Any ideas?

1Password7 version 7.2.5 (70205002)
MacOS Mojave version 10.14.4
Safari version 12.1 (14607.1.40.40

1Password Version: 7.2.5 (70205002)
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: MacOS Mojave version 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @pcaley! I'm sorry for the trouble. One thing you said concerns me a bit here: you said you're using Safari 12 and 1Password 7 for Mac (7.2.5). If that's the case, there is NO WAY to do what you said you did: "reinstall the browser extension."

Apple changed the extension format entirely in Safari 12 from the .safariextz style of separate extension we'd all become accustomed to using (and that you have to install separately yourself) to the newer Safari App Extension format, which is built into the main 1Password app itself; there's nothing "extra" to install. The only way to "reinstall" the 1Password extension in version 7.2.5 and Safari 12 would be to delete the entire 1Password app itself, then re-install it. Is that what you've been doing? If not, can you clarify the specific steps you have been taking? Thanks in advance.

• pcaley
    pcaley
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I may have misstated. I went to Safari Extensions, followed that to what I thought was an extension installation link but further investigation found that I didn't "reinstall". I have not deleted the 1Password app or anything else. This issue just started from nowhere. In safari, I click on the icon for one password, then click on the password/site I want to access. Nothing happens, so I close Safari, reopen it, click on the icon, click on the password/site I want to access and it works fine. I finish with that site, try to access another and nothing happens. I close and reopen Safari and it works as it should. Hope this clarifies my issue. Thanks so much for responding!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pcaley - no worries! Not trying to be pedantic on you just for drill, but it helps to make sure we're talking about the same thing so we don't misunderstand one another. The behavior you're describing definitely is not normal or expected. In fact, I'd actually consider quitting, uninstalling and re-installing 1Password just to see whether that makes any difference. If not - or if you don't want to do that - then the next thing I'd check is whether you have any antivirus/network filtering/VPN software that may be interfering with your localhost connections. Do you?

If you want to try reinstalling 1Password 7 (and the extension), first Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then quit Safari in the normal way. Then delete 1Password 7 for Mac - don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then visit our downloads page and get a fresh copy of the 1Password for Mac installer and run it. You'll be back where you left off (your data isn't affected by removing the app itself). Let us know how you get on! :)

• pcaley
    pcaley
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much Lars! I'll try your suggestion within the next few days and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pcaley - good luck! Let us know how/if it works for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.