NO browser extension is working ?!

JamesBonde
JamesBonde
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Mac

NO browser extension is working ?!? It used to work 2 days ago in Chrome V 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit) and it it used to work in Firefox 66.0.4 (64-bit) and now it doesn't and Im pretty angry. Im using 1P 6.8.9 (689000) which I purchased back in 2014. Extension version 4.7.3.90

What going on and how do you fix this ?

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (689000)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @JamesBonde

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you're having with the 1Password extension in your web browsers. Could you please elaborate about what you mean when you say it isn't working? What are the symptoms? What happens when you try to use the extension? Also, have you installed any new software or made changes to any settings in the last two days?

Please let us know; we'll be happy to help.

Ben

• rschramm
    rschramm
    Community Member

FYI - I just had similar problem - my Firefox browser extention 'disappeared' a few days ago. I tried to reinstall and a popup said "1password.com The add-on downloaded could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt"

This appears to be a Firefox issue, not a 1password. I updated firefox (to 66.0.5) and everything is back to normal.

The mozilla support site has a banner saying: "An updated version of Firefox is available to address the issues with Add-ons disabled or fail to install on Firefox. You can download the update for your OS here: https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/new/ For Known Issues and Workarounds, please check out the update at https://support.mozilla.org/kb/add-ons-disabled-or-fail-to-install-firefox (see:https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/?utm_source=www.mozilla.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=footer&utm_content=help)

I hope that helps.

• JamesBonde
    JamesBonde
    Community Member

Hi Ben
    Thanks for responding quickly. Im sorry- which part dont you understand ? I mentioned that NO browser extension is working at all in Firefox nor Chrome. I listed the installed versions of everything. I have not updated anything on my own - but I can not say if anything updated on its own. Regardless- I gave all the versions so you should know what is going on from a developers standpoint. if I go to a website and click on the browser extension icon, the 1P user name and password would pop up. Nothing happens now.

• if I go to a website and click on the browser extension icon, the 1P user name and password would pop up. Nothing happens now.

Thank you for that description. That's what I was looking for. I'm also asking if you've added any new software to your computer within the time period between when this was working and now (when it is not)? Particularly, have you added any security related software such as firewalls, anti-virus, or anything that monitors network connections?

Considering this is happening in both browsers (Chrome and Firefox) it seems unlikely that you're running into the same issue that @rschramm mentioned, but it is possible. Could you please make sure Firefox is at least version 66.0.5?

Also, have you tried restarting the Mac since this problem began?

Ben

• JamesBonde
    JamesBonde
    Community Member

Thanks @rschramm. I updated Firefox to 66.0.5 and reinstalled the 1P extension.

Went to log in to a site and its asking me for my EMAIL, SECRET KET & MASTER PASSWORD. I PURCHASED the app and dont have a secret key and I dont think I ever had to do this step before.

Please help- thanks

• @JamesBonde

It sounds like you installed the 1Password X extension, which is for 1Password membership customers. Please uninstall that and install the desktop extension:

https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/

Ben

• JamesBonde
    JamesBonde
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Awesome- thanks @Ben. You were right. Firefox is back to working correctly. Now I just need to fix the Chrome extension because that still does not work.

• Excellent. Progress is progress. :) For Chrome: please try restarting the Mac if you have not done so already. Chrome installs updates in the background when they are available, and this will interrupt the extension's communication with the main app. Restarting will make sure everything is fresh and a pending update shouldn't cause interference, if that is indeed the problem.

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.