Which option to purchase

I've been a user of 1Password for several years on my Mac and PC. I recently started a new job where I need to access 1Password on my work Windows machine, Android and my Mac & personal PC. It's the same database I need to access for every OS and machine. Also I've been using Dropbox to sync my passwords between my Mac and personal PC, which works well.

Also I need to be able to access my 1Password passwords when I'm NOT connected to the Internet, so remote capability is important to me.

Looking at the different options available to use 1Password on these different platform, which one is the most cost effective? Purchase a license of 1Password for each computer/phone or go to the subscription based? I need to update the version on my Mac and personal PC as they don't use the latest database architecture.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited May 14

Hi @waltebg

I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction. Do you have any need or desire to share any 1Password data with your family? If so I'd recommend 1Password Families. If not, then an individual membership is going to be the best approach. Membership gives you access to all of the latest versions of the 1Password apps for each of your compatible devices — no more having to purchase new and separate licenses.

Also I need to be able to access my 1Password passwords when I'm NOT connected to the Internet, so remote capability is important to me.

With membership your data is cached on each of your devices and then synced when you are connected to the internet, so no worries there.

Purchase a license of 1Password for each computer/phone or go to the subscription based?

Licensing and continuing to sync with Dropbox might be possible as well, but I would not recommend that in your case. The licenses for 1Password for Mac + 1Password for Windows plus the Pro features on Android is going to run you north of $100 USD + tax, whereas membership would be $2.99 USD + tax / mo (when billed annually). Dropbox limits their free accounts to 3 devices now, so you'd likely be paying for their service on top of that with licensing. Additionally the licensing route wouldn't include new versions.

You can learn about how to upgrade to a membership and migrate your data here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Please pay special attention to the instructions at the bottom for deleting the Primary vault on each device once you've migrated. This is an important step.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Thanks Ben for the response. I have a Dropbox Pro account, so device connection isn't an issue.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

:) :+1: Dropbox is a great file sync service. But we've built 1Password memberships for the specific needs of 1Password users and their data -- and, frankly, it's nice that we have the ability to fix any sync issues ourselves with that. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file