How to work with One-Time-Passwords in 1Password?

I actually use an iOS app especially for OTPs. There I have all my accounts which need an OTP as a list and also I am able to use a widget on the home screen showing my favorite accounts to get quick access to their OTPs.

Now I want to switch all my OTP-accounts to 1Password. I already read the guide for using OTPs in 1Password: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

After adding the first OTP to an existing login I wonder if there is also a list of all logins with an added OTP. But I couldn't find such a list. I have to search for the login which I think has an OTP active and open it. In the details I can see the One-Time-Password.

Is there a list which only shows all of my logins which have an OTP active? How to get such a list? Do I have to manually create a tag like "OTP" and use this tag to show all of the logins?

Actually I don't see the benefit of switching to 1Password with all my OTPs. 8-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @DenalB

Actually I don't see the benefit of switching to 1Password with all my OTPs. 8-)

If your current solution is working well for you then maybe you'd rather not. :) But having them stored in 1Password makes sense to me because:

1. I can access them on any device I'm signed into my 1Password account with
    2. I know they are stored securely, using the same level of protection as the rest of my 1Password data
    3. If I fill a login item 1Password automatically copies the associated OTP to the clipboard for me, making it super easy and convenient

Is there a list which only shows all of my logins which have an OTP active? How to get such a list? Do I have to manually create a tag like "OTP" and use this tag to show all of the logins?

Hmm. I have a "TOTP" tag that seems to contain all of my TOTP items, but I can't recall if I created that or 1Password did. 🧐I'll have to do some investigating on that. Do you see a TOTP tag?

Ben

• XIIIXIII
    edited May 15

Hmm. I have a "TOTP" tag that seems to contain all of my TOTP items, but I can't recall if I created that or 1Password did.

I guess you did, “because” I don’t have this tag.

I do have 2fa/totp though and I’m 100% sure I created that myself.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Same here. But it's not a bad idea. :)

• DenalBDenalB
    edited May 16

@Ben

If I fill a login item 1Password automatically copies the associated OTP to the clipboard for me, making it super easy and convenient

That's a big pro for using 1Password for 2FA. I will try a little bit and see if it matches for me. Thanks. ;)

Do you see a TOTP tag?

No, I don't have such a tag.

@XIII

I do have 2fa/totp though and I’m 100% sure I created that myself.

@brenty

Same here. But it's not a bad idea.

That's a great idea. I thought that there would be a new category for created OTP accounts. But there isn't. This would be a nice feature. :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

That's a big pro for using 1Password for 2FA. I will try a little bit and see if it matches for me. Thanks. ;)

You're very welcome. :):+1:

Ben

• @Ben
    I switched all of my 2FA accounts to 1Password and it works like a charm. Thanks! :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Excellent. :+1::)

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file