I have noticed, that if I restart my iMac, the 1password Chrome extension does not respond.

Options
steveng
steveng
Community Member

I have noticed, that if I restart my iMac, the 1password Chrome extension does not respond.

Only upon closing Chrome, and starting the 1password app, and then re-starting Chrome, does it work.

1Password Version: 7.2.6
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension unrsponsive

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steveng! Welcome to the forum! :)

I cannot reproduce this behavior here, but I have a question: does this happen regularly when you reboot your Mac, or just sometimes?

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried it on another Mac, and it is a consistent repro. Same app/extension/os versions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steveng: I'm not seeing that here either, nor are any other 1Password users reporting that. Can you provide some more details? What are the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening as you expect? It would also be helpful to know the browser version, and any "security" software or other extensions you have that might be interfering. Thanks in advance!

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    Options

I am not sure what is the expected behavior of 1Password?

If I restart the computer, open 1Password APP, and enter the password, then, when I open Chrome, there is no issue.

I would expect that if it was required to enter a password then the extension would give me a message saying that I needed to do so, but there is no response, at all.

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    Options

If I simply log off, and log back into to my account (no restart) 1password browser extension DOES give a pop-up asking for the main vault PW.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steveng

As brenty mentioned, can you please let us know what browser version this is happening with? For reference, I am using version 74.0.3729.131.

Also, do you have any security software installed on this machine?

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

74.0.3729.157 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I have Bitdefender installed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @steveng. I have just updated to the same Chrome version and I will test this again to see if there is any way I can reproduce this.

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    Options

Cool, thanks...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steveng

I might have found a way to trigger this, which doesn't even require a reboot. But the behavior I see is the same that you reported, so I would like you to see if you get the same result as me.

Can you please try alt-clicking on 1Password Mini in the menu bar and select Quit 1Password Completely? At this point, what happens when you click on the 1Password extension in Chrome?

I think this is happening on your device because 1Password Mini is not running in the menu bar after a reboot.

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yes, I can report that I get that behavior when I quit from the 1P mini.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steveng I think all of this is happening exactly because 1Password Mini is not running. It is also possible that Bitdefender might be preventing 1Password Mini from launching after a reboot, but I don't use Bitdefender here so I cannot confirm whether this is the case or not.

The 1Password app doesn't even need to be unlocked for this to work. In fact, if 1Password Mini is running and the 1Password desktop app is locked, if I click on the 1Password browser extension, I am prompted to enter my Master Password to unlock it. So what really matters is that 1Password Mini is running in the menu bar for things to work as expected.

Just for confirmation: if you open 1Password Preferences and go to the General tab, is the option Show 1Password in the menu bar currently checked?

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it's checked!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steveng Great, so we need to make sure that 1Password Mini actually starts when you reboot your computer (it might be currently configured not to launch automatically). After a reboot, do you see 1Password in the menu bar? If you don't, can you please make sure that 1Password launches automatically in macOS?

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    Options

I added it in my "start at login" items, and at re-start, everything is now fine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steveng, I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• steveng
    steveng
    Community Member
    Options

You too! Always great to deal with your guys, on the rare occasions that I have to!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the kind words! Hopefully you continue to encounter issues only rarely, but we're here if you need us. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.