Firefox 1Password X continually asking to update to new look

Options

I have updated to the latest version of the Firefox 1Password X extension. More often that not, I am asked if I would like to update to the new look. I click 'Update' and the new look is applied. However, a few 1Passsword X launches later (unfortunately cannot predict the times when it happens) I am prompted again if I'd like to update to the new look. This cycle repeats itself... I haven't found a fix yet.

1Password Version: 1.15.11
Extension Version: 1.15.11
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alanper: Are you maybe "resetting", "clearing", or otherwise preventing the state from being saved? 1Password X only asks that on first run. We actually suggest to people who want to re-do their decision to reinstall it, since it only offers that option when opened for the first time. Let me know.

• alanper
    alanper
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not too sure how I would be resetting or clearing the setttings. I am using the browser as expected, nothing out of the ordinary. I was hoping that a clean install would only present me with the new interface, but I have reinstalled the extension and the behaviour is still the same.

I hope that it is not related to a thread from a year ago (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/89829/firefox-clearing-all-history-clears-setting) that I logged about Firefox not saving 1Password settings. It just does not seem correct that all an extension's settings can be erased by clearing cookies/cache. Even if I only clear the cache once a month I have to redo all the 1Password settings I have changed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alanper: Nope, that's almost certainly it. :) Given that 1Password X runs entirely in the browser, it can't save its settings anywhere else. So if you're clearing the browser's storage, 1Password X will absolutely go back to "square one". I'm not sure I'd agree that wiping out data is "nothing out of the ordinary" -- certainly not how most people use web browsers, but regardless it's not possible for us to prevent someone from doing that. If you're doing the same thing with the browser periodically, you'll need to redo the settings. I can see it both ways: you (and, frankly, we) might want extension settings to be preserved when clearing browser data, but I have no doubt that there are people who would be taken aback if it didn't. Perhaps in the future Firefox will allow more granular control, or make the specific consequences of checking each of those boxes clearer though. Sorry I don't have better news for you on this front.

• alanper
    alanper
    Community Member
    Options

Do you know which checkbox is clearing the 1Password settings?

Chrome does not have the same problem. Clearing cache etc. in Chrome does not remove the extension settings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your guess is as good as mine, given that Firefox isn't real specific about any of those, as I mentioned above. :) But if I were a betting man, I'd go with one of the last two.

This discussion has been closed.