Question mark on dock - hovering over = 1PW6. Now 1PW7 icon is on dock, too.

Options
mail_ronandclaudia
mail_ronandclaudia
Community Member

(See the title above) I'm helping a friend. I've used and still have 1PW6. In 2017 I helped a friend get 1PW6 and she pays $35/yr. She recently upgraded to Mojave and somehow her 1PW6 interface is gone and the 1PW active icon is for v7. She wants to continue using 1PW6 but it looks like she would need to uninstall v7. Things are so messed up I don't even know how to ask the question. I feel responsible since I've gotten a few friends onto 1PW and they look to me for help. I so wish you had phone support. Since you don't, is there a consultant we could contact that would help us. We are happy to pay.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mail_ronandclaudia! Welcome to the forum!

If 1Password 6 is missing from your friend's system, can you please try installing version 6 once again, before trying anything else?

If she purchased 1Password directly from us in the past, you can download 1Password 6 from here. Alternatively, if she purchased the app from the Mac App Store, she can download 1Password 6 again from there in the Purchases list.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Why does she want to use 1PW6? If she is paying yearly, that means she has a subscription and so the upgrade to 1PW7 is free.

For security reasons it is best to move to 1PW7. 1PW6 works ok at present, but it is not recommended.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Danco is right, 1Password 7 would certainly be the best option. Unless she is running an older version of macOS, maybe one that requires the older 1Password 6, the upgrade to 1Password 7 is free with a Membership :+1:

• mail_ronandclaudia
    mail_ronandclaudia
    Community Member
    Options

If she does decide to switch to 1PW 7, what should be done about the question mark on the dock which indicates its 1PW6? Additionally, the 1PW 7 active icon on the dock (with associated the 1PW extension) doesn't respond to 'open and fill' either in the dock icon or the extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mail_ronandclaudia

If she does decide to switch to 1PW 7, what should be done about the question mark on the dock which indicates its 1PW6?

That's just a link to an app you uninstalled. You can remove it from the Dock by dragging the icon to the Trash.

Additionally, the 1PW 7 active icon on the dock (with associated the 1PW extension) doesn't respond to 'open and fill' either in the dock icon or the extension.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "doesn't respond"? And what happens if, instead on using the "open and fill" button in the app, you use the 1Password browser extension directly in the browser?

• mail_ronandclaudia
    mail_ronandclaudia
    Community Member
    Options

On either the dock or the extension when ‘open and fill’ is clicked, nothing happens. Even if we type in the user name, then click the icon for the PW to be filled automatically, nothing happens. The password must then be copied and pasted.

• mail_ronandclaudia
    mail_ronandclaudia
    Community Member
    Options

Also, since v7 was installed "automatically" along with the Mojave upgrade (she says she didn't ask for the upgrade, it just happened), v7 may not have been migrated correctly. If that's the case how should we proceed. We are afraid to uninstall v7, especially since you are telling us that v6 has been uninstalled. She does have her emergency kit from when she bought 1PW in 2017 (we found it in an email from 2017). However, doing this 'on our own' is pretty scary. It would be so much easier if you had phone support. I'm really sorry I got my friends into 1PW when they now look to me for help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On either the dock or the extension when ‘open and fill’ is clicked, nothing happens. Even if we type in the user name, then click the icon for the PW to be filled automatically, nothing happens. The password must then be copied and pasted.

@mail_ronandclaudia: What are the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions being used there?

Find your version

That will be important to know.

However, doing this 'on our own' is pretty scary. It would be so much easier if you had phone support. I'm really sorry I got my friends into 1PW when they now look to me for help.

We do not have a call center because phone support would definitely not be easier for stuff like this (and security and privacy are a problem with things like screen sharing), as then you'd be 100% on the spot and have to follow steps and give us details as we request them. This way you can go at your own pace to try things and answer when you have the time to do so.

However, I totally agree that it's going to be more work for you and confusing for us if you're acting as a go-between for the person who actually needs help. So I'd encourage you to have them contact us directly themselves at support@1password.com so we can assist them with their specific needs in their specific situation. Although it's great that you're trying to help, technical support is our job and area of expertise, not yours! So us helping them directly will be the best way to get them to a resolution with minimal fuss. :chuffed:

• mail_ronandclaudia
    mail_ronandclaudia
    Community Member
    Options

Her OS version is Mojave 10.14.5 and 1PW7v 7.2.6. However, when we go to Safari and click on preferences, then extensions, there are none listed. If we hit 'more extensions' we go to the extension gallery in Safari and click on 1PW it has the spinning icon and will not install. Then, if we go to 1PW then hit install Browser extensions the safari extension says it's included with 1PW 7 and no buttons are active. Within Safari extension gallery, when I hit the extension for 1PW it will not install. My friend is with me and we have been working together. I will have her send you this note and we will start getting help on her computer. However, please reply here if you can also for now,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mail_ronandclaudia - macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) ships with Safari 12. Apple completely changed the extension format for version 12 of Safari, replacing the older .safariextz extensions we're all accustomed to using (and which 1Password 6 for Mac uses) with the newer Safari App Extension format. For the present, the older-style extensions can still be installed into Safari 12, but we don't know for how much longer that will be the case, as Apple's already announced their intent to shutter the Safari Extensions Gallery, and they've already removed support for the older extensions in their beta app, Safari Technology Preview.

Because 1Password 6 for Mac was already retired to legacy mode when Mojave was released (since version 7 of 1Password for Mac had been released by then), it won't be receiving further compatibility updates. 1Password 7 for Mac has the newer Safari App Extension format of extension, but 1Password 6 for Mac never will. That means the strongly recommended move at this point is for anyone using Mojave and Safari to install 1Password 7 for Mac and use that. If there are NO extensions in Safari when you click Safari's Preferences > Extensions on your friend's Mac, then something's wrong; please restart the Mac and check again (after launching 1Password 7 for Mac and Safari). If there are still no extensions visible, let us know. Attempting to revert to 1Password 6 for Mac at this point will be counterproductive and unnecessary since your friend's 1Password membership gives her access to all updates and future upgrades to all four of our 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). Let us know what you discover.

• mail_ronandclaudia
    mail_ronandclaudia
    Community Member
    Options

The extension now seems to work with your instructions. About another question: I was able to sign my friend up for the Forum with a user name and password. The Forum seems to be the best place to get help. However, we didn't see any place in the Forum on her laptop to ask a question. Is the way to ask through an email to support? I notice I get into my Forum answers by a link in the email. I want to be able to tell her how to ask and get advise like I'm getting here, but I can't remember how I initially did that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mail_ronandclaudia: When using the forum, there's a box to search and a "New Discussion" button at the top of the index in every category:

If email is preferred, just contact us at support@1password.com as I suggested earlier. You can get email notifications for forum replies as well, but this is a public support forum so anything of a personal or sensitive nature would need to be handled via email anyway. Otherwise it's mostly a matter of preference, and we're happy to help either way. :)

This discussion has been closed.