1PasswordAgent: Crypto operation failed: -4301

Hello.

I've recently noticed the notification in the OS X Console.app stating:

1PasswordAgent: Crypto operation failed: -4301

This happens whenever a browser its started, that has a 1Password Browser Extension installed.
It does not matter which browser: Chrome (18.0.xyz), Safari (5.1.5), Firefox (11.0)

Since I couldn't find any documentation on this specific error or the error code, I've tried a couple of things. To no avail, unfortunately.
  • Deleting and Reinstalling the Browser Extension for Safari
  • Deleting and Reinstalling the Browser Extension for Chrome
  • Rebuilding the data file
  • Deleting the cache (which is regenerated automagically)
  • Deactivating the cache
  • Making a backup and restoring that backup

Since nothing of that has helped, I'd be interested in what error -4301 means?

I assume a broken entry in my 1Password data file. At least that would explain why all browsers have the same problem, since they all access one database (albeit their own copy of it, as I understood).
Could I somehow narrow that down a bit?

Thanks for you help in advance.
Have a nice day.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2012
    It just means that you entered the master password incorrectly.

[31419] Mon Apr 30 23:32:44 2012| Crypto operation failed: -4301
    [31419] Mon Apr 30 23:32:44 2012| Failed to decrypt with PBKDF2, incorrect password

• maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    edited May 2012
    Hello.

No. Thats not the case.

In my console.log there is no second line, like in your example.
    And it always happens when I start the browser. I haven't entered anything at that point.

Here's Chrome starting, leaving it open for a few seconds and then quitting Chrome:

01.05.12 10:04:42,662 1PasswordAgent: Crypto operation failed: -4301
    01.05.12 10:04:52,654 1PasswordAgent: [HYBI] socketDidDisconnect: Error Domain=GCDAsyncSocketErrorDomain Code=7 "Socket closed by remote peer" UserInfo=0x10442e160 {NSLocalizedDescription=Socket closed by remote peer}

Cheers
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2012
    4301 is a very generic error code. It really isn't very helpful in and of itself. However, incorrect master password is by far the most common cause.

In your case, it looks like the WebSocket connection was just reset temporarily. It can happen. It will just reconnect. I wouldn't worry about it if you aren't having any actual problems.

Are there any other symptoms or are you just looking at the logs?
  • maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    Thanks for clarifying that.

No, I'm just looking at the logs and was curious why this is logged constantly without me doing something in particular.

I understand why you're playing it down. There are people who stop when their car is making funny noises and look for the reason.
    And there are those who don't care about the clanking as it always stops at some point. Both understandable from a certain point of view.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Log entries can be very deceptive. Even the same log entry can mean two different things (and sometimes neither one is a problem that needs to be resolved). We always try to make them as useful as possible to us, but they may be confusing (and even misleading) to folks.

Thanks for asking about this. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
  • woodenbrain
    woodenbrain
    Community Member
    edited May 2012
    khad wrote:

Log entries can be very deceptive. Even the same log entry can mean two different things (and sometimes neither one is a problem that needs to be resolved). We always try to make them as useful as possible to us, but they may be confusing (and even misleading) to folks.

Thanks for asking about this. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

I find it more than a funny noise. Excessive logging eats system resources for one thing. In my case I have a tail -50 on my desktop using GeekTool, and each line takes resources to render. I haven't tracked this closely but each time I've looked at the log in the past day or so I've noticed these messages, one for every account apparently. Looking at my logs now, I'm seeing multiple entries every second, even. Short story, I'd prefer to see it fixed.

5/15/12 2:32:27.605 PM 1PasswordAgent: Crypto operation failed: -4301
    5/15/12 2:32:27.625 PM 1PasswordAgent: [ES 0x109a06a70] Invalid socket data from 'safari-extension://com.agilebits.onepassword-safari-2bua8c4s2c' (562/0/32 bytes). Ignoring.
    5/15/12 2:32:32.443 PM 1PasswordAgent: Crypto operation failed: -4301
    5/15/12 2:32:32.443 PM 1PasswordAgent: [ES 0x109a06a70] Invalid socket data from 'safari-extension://com.agilebits.onepassword-safari-2bua8c4s2c' (562/0/32 bytes). Ignoring.
    5/15/12 2:32:36.564 PM 1PasswordAgent: Crypto operation failed: -4301
    5/15/12 2:32:36.565 PM 1PasswordAgent: [ES 0x109a06a70] Invalid socket data from 'safari-extension://com.agilebits.onepassword-safari-2bua8c4s2c' (562/0/32 bytes). Ignoring.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2012
    You're absolutely right, woodenbrain. If log entries are genuinely useless there is no reason to have them. It sounds like there may be something wrong on your system, though, if you see multiple entries every second. If you generate a full 1Password Diagnostics Report and email it to us at support AT agilebits.com we will be able to offer more personalized assistance.

Please include a link to this thread so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.
This discussion has been closed.