Password generated on form not honoring length set in generator

Hi,

Using the Chrome extension, I have set the password length to 14 characters. When generating a password on a given page, the password generated is the default length of 20 (or whatever it was) and not the 14 characters specified.

Thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.15.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@foghat: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You're comparing two completely separate features that serve different purposes there:

• Suggested Passwords gives you a long, strong, unique password which is compatible with most websites with a single click right within the inline menu. This is not customizable, as it's built for speed and convenience.
    • Password Generator is built to be customizable for flexibility, for those instances where a different composition is needed. It's settings apply only to itself.

I hope that helps clarify the two. :)

• foghat
    foghat
    Community Member

Ahhh. Got it.

The first site I tried it on, it was too long and too complex. Luck of the draw I guess.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

I hear you. It really can feel like a bit of a dice roll sometimes. :) But I will say that over the years I have definitely seen more and more sites begin to allow for better security by loosing or removing restrictions on password length/composition, so I do think there's reason to be optimistic, even though some can still be a hassle. Cheers! :)

• duwie
    duwie
    Community Member

I don't mean to hijack the post but I can't find how to customize/trigger Password Generator in the browser extension.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @duwie,

If you use 1Password X, please click "+" button and you will Password Generator there. Let me know if it helps. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• foghat
    foghat
    Community Member

Revisiting this post of mine. I still fine that often enough, the site will not allow for the length/complexity of the 'Suggested Password'. It would really be nice to be able to set the rules for the Suggested Password in order to get around this.

As, right now, I no longer even attempt to use it as I often get put into an awkward workflow where 1password saves the too complex password to my profile and in the meantime the site has rejected it and asks me to enter something else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. The full password generator is still available, but perhaps we can find a way to improve it for that use case in the future without making the Suggested Password less convenient in cases where it's sufficient. :)

This discussion has been closed.