To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password 6 & 7 Issue

WantingResolution
WantingResolution
Community Member

Hello 1password Support,

I'm having a very disappointing and frustrating experience with your company and product.

I have used 1password for several years and have really liked it. I have an active license for 1password 6. I had not been to your website for awhile, so I thought I would check it out to see what was new. I noticed you could now log in and create an account. I did this not knowing I would be actually signing up for a trial version of 1password 7.

When viewing https://1password.com/ , you see no mention of anything about a forced paid monthly subscription. I clicked on Sign In > Then I clicked on Create a New Account at the bottom. Only after creating an account, did I realize I had logged into the online version of 1password 7. There was no mention of requiring any kind of payment or a free trial... I was asked to upload my primary vault from my computer, which I did not, because I did not know that much about 1password 7 and needed to do more research, so I logged out.

The next day, I was on my computer, opened 1password 6, and I got a notification that an upgrade was available. It said "upgrade", which made it sound like a patch or a free upgrade. It did not say "Do you want to upgrade to 1password 7, which requires a paid monthly subscription and if you download this and back out of the free trial, we will freeze your account" - The difference between these two statements are gigantic and really pisses me off. I feel deceived.

So, I download this "upgrade" and discovered that 1password 7 was installed on my computer. I was using 1password 6 more frequently recently, because I got a new email address and needed to update just about every single one of my stored logins. I continued to update my logins on 1password 7.

I then did more research into 1 password 7 and learned that it is cloud based, that I'm suppose to upload my vault onto your hosted servers, can access my vault from any device, and that I have to pay a monthly fee...

I did not want to do this and I feel this is a complete bait and switch. I do not want to use your servers to host my vault and I do not want to pay a monthly fee to do so. I continued to use 1password on my own computer for a few days because I own a valid license for 1password. When I had more time to research 1password 7, I realized I was not going to use the online / hosted version, so I deleted the account.

When I was notified that an "upgrade was ready", I was not told that I needed to pay for it. You need to inform someone that before letting them download the "upgrade" that overwrites the preexisting application!

Because I was not told, I assumed the monthly fee was for online use / allowing multiple devices to access the same vault.

Once I deleted the online 1password 7, I discovered that I could no longer use the 1password application on my computer, even though I have a valid license.

I found the old 1password 6 install file, but once I installed it and opened my vault, I discovered that none of the changes I had made over the past few days in 1password 7, were showing. And these were a lot of changes considering I had changed my email on just about every login...

Are you f**king kidding me? I feel completely lied to and deceived. I'm really disappointed in the lack of clear communication around the impact this would have.

If 1password 6 was upgraded to 1password 7, the same vault was used. Why are those changes made in 1password 7 not showing in 1password 6 now? How can I correct this and pull the updated vault from 1password 7 (on my computer) and import it to 1password 6 (on my computer). All the changes I made can still be viewed in 1password 7.

This is honestly one of the most frustrating experiences I have had with a software company. It really surprises me that for existing long term customers, no care or effort went into having a notification about how the computer based application would be impacted by this "upgrade" and how it requires a monthly fee to function.

I would really like to talk to someone about this and I really do need help with transferring the updated vault back into 1password 6.

I do appreciate your help with this,

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WantingResolution: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having a frustrating time, but I'm glad you decided to reach out for help. I'll be happy to answer you questions:

Are you [...] kidding me? I feel completely lied to and deceived. I'm really disappointed in the lack of clear communication around the impact this would have.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I'm happy to help you get sorted...but we're not able to stop you from actively getting yourself into this situation without making it harder for everyone else to get and use 1Password.

If 1password 6 was upgraded to 1password 7, the same vault was used. Why are those changes made in 1password 7 not showing in 1password 6 now? How can I correct this and pull the updated vault from 1password 7 (on my computer) and import it to 1password 6 (on my computer). All the changes I made can still be viewed in 1password 7.

1Password 7 stores data in a different location than earlier versions did. So it sounds like you've made some changes only in 1Password 7, but are expecting them in 1Password 6. You left out the information about what sync method you're using, but if you use folder sync to make a copy of your 1Password 7 vault on disk, you can reset 1Password 6 and open that vault there instead.

As a side note, you can use an existing 1Password 6 license with 1Password 6, which it sounds like is what you want to do; that just won't work with 1Password for Mac version 7, since you didn't purchase that.

I wanted to cover that first since you asked specific questions and needed help getting data from one place to another. But you made a number of other comments, and I'll try to address those as well.

Just to get this out of the way, we don't ever say that 1Password 7 "requires a paid monthly subscription" because it doesn't. One of the options when setting up the app for the first time is to purchase a license:

You just won't get anything like that if you've signed into a 1Password membership account already, as all of the apps are included with that...and if we had our app selling people licenses when its already included in what they're paying, they'd rightfully be upset about that. So when you go out of your way to sign up for and sign into a 1Password account, 1Password is going to take that to mean you're going with the membership option, and not try to sell you something you don't need in that case. Similarly, you'll be offered any and all updates in that case since they're included with the membership. Otherwise you -- quite literally -- won't get any notice of an upgrade to version 7 at all in 1Password 6 if you're using it with a license and not an account. We do plan to add a notice there in the future, but it is not a free upgrade without a membership and won't be presented as one -- same as we've done in the past.

Backtracking a bit, there's no mention of anything "forced" in any of our materials because we don't have anything like that. As you described, you signed up for a membership trial on your own. It's not even something that was suggested to you through the version you already purchased.

When you go to our website and click "Try 1Password free" anywhere, you're taken to this page, which shows pricing for the most common membership options -- individual and family:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

Or, if you downloaded the app somehow without going through any of that on the website, you're still given pricing as part of the in-app signup process (though it doesn't sound like that's the route you took).

When you do sign up for a trial, there is a point where you're asked to setup payment for it, but, as you found, you can skip that if you want.

I think that covers it. I'm sorry if some of that was unclear to you, but at any point you could have asked. We can only offer answers and solutions if you do, so I'm glad you took the time. Let me know if you need help with anything else.

This discussion has been closed.