Problem - New Edits Getting Lost - Reverting Back to Old Items on Other Devices - How Do I Prevent?

dealtek
dealtek
Community Member

Hi,

MacBook Pro - Sierra
Mac - also Sierra
iPhone 8 - latest IOS
iPad - latest IOS

sync stored in dropbox as opvault.

• Wi-Fi connection to all is high bandwidth cable connection - working properly.

I have had the following disturbing issue, more than once:

Generally my MacBook is my 1P "master" - where I do most of my edits. The other devices I generally do not edit 1P.

This morning I opened the MacBook 1P - and made some edits.

Then I went to the other devices and opened 1P - just to check that the edits showed up.

I noticed that the iPad was not updating within one or two minutes.

So I went to ipad sync in 1p and said to that vault = sync now

still not seeing the edits

! When I went back to the MacBook, I was quite disturbed to see that my edits had reverted I suppose back to the old ones from the iPad!!! My new edits were lost!!! And I'm talking about New master passwords – We're the only copy was in the MacBook– Now gone.

Luckily, I have learned to keep new passwords on a temporary text file to be deleted soon after, and was able to recover the brand-new passwords that had gotten lost.

Generally, I love one password but disturbing problems like these are quite scary.

So, of course if I'm doing something incorrectly, or understanding something wrong, please let me know.

Later, after I got all devices syncing properly again - it appeared like the IOS devices would update but maybe it would take several minutes to reflect the change, and maybe this was part of the issue?

Looking forward to hearing your comments

Dave

1Password Version: 7.2.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: sierra
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - I'm sorry for the trouble!

I have learned to keep new passwords on a temporary text file to be deleted soon after, and was able to recover the brand-new passwords that had gotten lost.

That sounds like an unusual level of preparedness required for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place, not to mention being significantly insecure, if you're using a plain text file that gets (potentially) written to disk.

The best guide to figuring out what might be wrong will be our troubleshooting guide for Dropbox sync, but if you're looking for a more-reliable method of sync, I'd recommend checking out a 1password.com membership, for that reason alone, but also many others.

This discussion has been closed.