Differentiate "Copy" menu item titles

Options
kevinschaich
kevinschaich
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Mac

Hey 1Password team, I've recently started using the "Copy Username" shortcut and I'd like to customize the keyboard shortcut on my Mac.

Right now, all of the copy features have the same title, "Copy", regardless of whether they copy username/password/etc:

Would it be possible to name these appropriately and separately, i.e. a "Copy Username" menu item and so on? I think this would make both the menu items clearer and allow Mac users to optionally customize the shortcut for each in their system-wide Keyboard preferences.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.6
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevinschaich - that's...quite unusual! In fact, I haven't seen anything like it, ever, in 1Password for Mac. Not in the current stable build that you're running, not in the internal nightly build, and not in memory of previous versions. Chatting with a colleague, we at first were thinking it might have to do with the field titles -- as is: maybe you just weren't naming the fields which is why they show up as blanks in your screenshot. But that's not the case; those should be field TYPES, not titles. In my own experience, it should give you the field type, right after the word "copy," like this:

Here's what I'd like you to do, if you're willing: create a "dummy" item for us, one that contains none of your real data. Populate the contents so that you can see the same things you see in your screenshot above, more or less. Doesn't have to be exact, but should contain at least one of those fields that results in just the word "Copy" and nothing else in 1Password's Edit menu. Click Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Copy JSON," then send it to us so we can see what the difference is between what you see and what we see. That will be immensely helpful. You can post it here if you don't mind doing that (should be OK since it's not your real data), but if you prefer, you can email it to us at support@1password.com -- you'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant which will contain a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can "connect the dots" and make sure this gets addressed promptly, if you choose that method. Thanks! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevinschaich - sorry, I just realized I didn't give you actual instructions for copying the JSON, only how to enable that. To copy the JSON, look in Item > Copy JSON (or just use ⌘J on your keyboard); you can paste the output here or send it to us via email if you prefer.

• kevinschaich
    kevinschaich
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Lars,

I just updated to version 7.3.1.BETA-0 and I can't reproduce this issue any longer. I tried what you said with a dummy item for both logins and passwords (and a variety of supplemental fields) and can't get it to show the non-descript copy menu items. They show username/password/one-time-password correctly.

Thanks for your help, I'll reply back here if it happens to come up again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevinschaich - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I could help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• kevinschaich
    kevinschaich
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Lars – I actually have another question here. I managed to get the keyboard shortcut changed for the 1Password desktop app by setting the following in my global system preferences:

However, these shortcuts don't work in the 1Password Mini popup regardless of what shortcuts I choose. The shown ones above (⌘ + 1-3) conflict with switching Vaults, but I've tried a few other shortcuts and they don't work either.

Any way we can get this to work out-of-the-box or add support in an upcoming release?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevinschaich - Glad you got things adjusted as you like for the main 1Password for Mac app. Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple; 1Password 7 for Mac (like earlier versions) has a few global shortcuts, but otherwise, the shortcuts for the main app and mini are separate. In System Preferences, you can affect the shortcuts for any apps you can find in your /Applications folder (or anywhere else)...but the process you'd need to affect to change the mini's shortcuts would be at /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app -- and while you can access that via Finder by right-(or control-) clicking and choosing "contents," you can't do that within the context of the pop-up menu in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialogue of System Preferences. I suspect this is something we won't be putting development hours into changing anytime soon, but I can mention your wishes to the development team.

This discussion has been closed.