Master Password Planing

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited May 2019 in iOS

Making sure your loved ones can access the data you leave behind isn’t something many of us plan for.
Telling your loved one or trusted person who can take care of business where you keep your master passwords besides in your head.
If one syncs their 1password with either dropbox or iCloud and your loved one accidentally erases your only apple device then am I right to say they also would also need your Apple or dropbox account password to get it back?
I guess what I am trying to say is no one can by a new iPhone then download 1Password and enter the master password and see your 1Password contents right? They would have to be signed in with your apple account right?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kunder: Right you are. If you are storing your encrypted 1Password data in a 3rd party cloud account, both the login credentials for that account and the Master Password to decrypt the 1Password vault there would be needed to access it. So you'd need to plan for that in advance if you want your loved ones to be able to access your 1Password data after you're gone.

That's one approach, and really there are any number of ways to do that depending on your personal preferences and situation. But you may want to check out 1Password Families, since that not only simplifies things as far as accessing your data on any device -- you simply sign into your account -- but also allows you to share vaults securely with loved ones and even help them recover their accounts if they get locked out. In that case, just saving a copy of the Emergency Kit in a secure location (like a safe deposit box or fire safe) could allow you to easily make arrangements for your loved ones to use that to access your account as needed.

There isn't going to be a one-size-fits-all solution, so it's important to think about it and plan ahead. I hope this helps a bit. :)

This discussion has been closed.