Feature Request - Ability to manually enter a username when creating new login

Options

When you create a new login for a site 1PasswordX captures the username but when you are resetting a password this isn't available to 1Password.

This means when you reset a password the process goes

• Reset password
  • Select generated password
  • Save new login
  • Edit new login
  • Enter username

It would be great if 1Password gave you the ability to enter the username at time of creation saving a bunch of clicks.

1Password Version: 1.15.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hey @Lee_B! I could definitely see where this would come in handy. I haven't necessarily run into it when resetting a password because I typically have the Login stored already, and I choose to update the existing Login which already has my username in it. The flow for that would look like:

• Reset password
    • Select generated password
    • Update the existing Login

Where I've had trouble is on sign-up forms that are separated into two pages (username on one page, password on the other). In that case, I'm creating a brand new Login so it's not as easy as updating one that already exists. That's where your feature request would be extremely beneficial, in my opinion. I've passed it along to the rest of the team for consideration down the road. Thanks! :)

ref: x/b5x#708

• Lee_B
    Lee_B
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Kaitlyn, yes the two page entries are also annoying.

This request came up for me as we are rolling this out to some people who have never used a password manager before so they are going through the process of changing their logins from a generic password to a random one in 1Password. For every one of their logins they need to go through the extra step of editing the login after it's created.

Note we know we can do this in the desktop app but a lot of our users are non technical and are already sceptical that password managers are to complex for them so we are trying to remove any complexity we can like having 1Password as an app and an extension.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That makes sense, @Lee_B! I guess I would think that a user would have to first sign into their account before changing their password, and 1Password would offer to save the Login when they first sign in (and therefore already have their username saved). I understand that if they're already signed into an account, then install 1Password X, then go to change a password, they wouldn't have that option which is where this feature would come in handy. Thanks for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.