I'd like to keep a copy of my recovery kit with my estate docs and other important papers so that my family can access my passwords if something unfortunate were to happen to me. However, it seems the recovery kit is meant more for me to recover my account (i.e. in case I forget the master password) rather than someone else.
Here's a feature that you might consider: 3rd Party Recovery Kits. The concept here is a printout similar to the existing recovery kit, with the following differences:
- no master password (i.e. 2D barcode is sufficient to gain access). The reasoning here is that I should be able to change my "master password" without having to update the kits that I've included with my estate docs, etc, etc.
- unique name / identifying number on each 3rd party kit.
- ability to revoke access to any specific 3rd party kit. Useful if the sheet goes missing, etc.
- ability to see if a 3rd party kit has ever been used to access the account. Basically, a big warning banner when I next use 1password saying "Hey! the 3rd party kit named 'estate docs' was used!"
For my.1password users:
- a time-lock type setup where if the 3rd party recovery kit is used, rather than granting immediate access, my.1password instead sends me an email saying that access will be granted in a week unless further action is taken. Within that week, I can revoke the requesting 3rd party kit (and thus keep my passwords safe), or do nothing and after a week the system will honour the request.
1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided