Confusing function of the password generator

Options
electricarts
electricarts
Community Member

I am about to update from 1P 6 to 1P 7 and try to get used to the new program. That there is now no "open and go" but only "open and fill" and that I have to click login as an additional step I have to get used to. But the password generator confuses me.

In 1P 6 I clicked on the icon in the menu, selected Password Generator, generated the password with the selected settings and simply copied it. Now in 1P 7 I have to click on " +New Password" and then there is any already defined login name (which I can't change !) and only the possibility to choose "Save and Copy" instead of just "Copy".

So every time I only want to generate a password, an entry with an already assigned name will be created and saved. I really don't understand the behavior.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password Generator

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @electricarts

This actually hasn't changed, it is just more explicit about telling you what it is doing now. We've always saved a password item when copying/filling a password from the password generator, which is then deleted when/if you save that password into a Login item:

If you used the password generator and can't find the password to sign in

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer!

But why is an existing login used as the name of the login? And much worse: Why can't I change the name? What if I really want to manually create a new login via 1P Mini?

Mario

• Ben
    Options

@electricarts

This isn't creating a Login item at all. It is creating a Password item. Creating the Login item comes after, once you've put the generated password into the websites login / change password form. :) Again: this is the exact same functionality that existed in v6. We're just being more explicit in telling you that it is happening now.

Ben

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member
    Options

This means that each entry in the category "Passwords" in the left column is only a generated password which was never used as login again? Because otherwise it would no longer appear in the list "Passwords" but under "Logins"?

• Ben
    Options

There are other ways for items to be created in the Passwords category, but yes, that is where everything from the password generator starts its life before it evolves into a Login. If you generate and copy/save a password from the generator and don't save it to a Login it'll stay there indefinitely. If you do save it to a Login it'll be removed from there.

Ben

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, that all makes sense. What I still don't understand is the assigned (and unchangeable) name of the generated password. For example, I have 71 passwords with the name "TextEdit" and 58 with the name "Microsoft Word"! The passwords have nothing to do with TextEdit or Word. Why don't you name these entries "unassigned passwords" or something similar, in contrast to the fantasy names now assigned?

• Ben
    Options

@electricarts

The password titles are based on what you're currently viewing, as the assumption is you're generating a password for whatever it is you're using. If you're in a web browser, that'll be the URL for the website. If you're in non-browser app it'll be the title of that app. :) Surely some context, even if occasionally wrong, is better than no context ever?

Ben

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member
    Options

Ok Ben, you have won. ;) Thanks for your help and patience!

Mario

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.