To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

My wife's iPad got invitation to join, IOS can't read file, so no key!

jaybar
jaybar
Community Member

I have a family account. I want to add my wife's iphone, ipad and computer to it. I sent her the "invitation" to join, confirmed, but then she received a file that the ipad IOS (most recent version) can't read! Assuming she gets a different secret key than I have, I can't see how she can access it, and complete the joining process. Also, tried the alternative of down-loading the file to her computer, but either there's no application on it that can read that file, or I can't direct the file to the app.

A comment: your general instructions make it appear that getting this system going is a simple,straight-forward task. I don't find that to be true, and wonder if your writers are looking at this from the average user's viewpoint. The forum seems full of questions about this sort of thing. I've been a user of the stand-alone app (currently, 7.2.6) for a number of years.

1Password Version: 7.2.6
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@jaybar

I sent her the "invitation" to join...
    I've been a user of the stand-alone app

It sounds like you've got the standalone subscription which is for one person (yourself).

Your wife could use the free version of 1Password on iOS but you'll need to manually synchronise the data to Dropbox or via WLAN.

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#advanced-sync-options

Or you could signup for a 1Password membership then all future updates are included.

https://1password.com/families/

• jaybar
    jaybar
    Community Member

Sorry I wasn't more precise: I have the stand-alone application, and can still use it pretty successfully myself on one computer. But I subscribed as well, because I was told it was the easiest way to allow both my wife and I to access our passwords seamlessly with any of our devices. My efforts to set this up for my wife's devices so far have not worked, as described in my post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jaybar: Thanks for clarifying. I don't see questions about this often (and I read nearly all discussions on this forum), but certainly the Emergency Kit on iOS does come up from time to time. iOS just doesn't (yet?) offer a way to save files in the browser. So that's where you run into that very specific hitch. However, it doesn't really matter because she'll still be able to find her Secret Key in her account settings in any browser/app where she's signed in -- and if she completed the account creation process, she will be signed in there. I'm not sure where she did that exactly, from your description, but...

• if she signed up within the 1Password iOS app, that can be found in Settings > Accounts, and
    • if she signed up in Safari or another web browser, that can be found in her account Profile page

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

But either way, I'd encourage you to reach out via email at support@1password.com with the details, in case we need to exchange more information. Just post the Support ID you receive here and I'll take a look. :)

This discussion has been closed.