To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

security question

Johann_Gruber
Johann_Gruber
Community Member

Hello,
I have an additional question: How does the password generator work if a security question is asked on a web page and where is the password generator so that I can save this security question?

Thanks for the answer!

Gruber Johann

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Johann_Gruber

We have a blog post on this subject, but it was published in 2012 and while the general advice is still good the specific steps outlined haven't held up well:

Blizzard and insecurity questions: My father’s middle name is vR2Ut1VNj

I would still recommend a similar approach, but I'd suggest using the 'words' portion of the password generator, rather than 'characters.' If you set the field type for your custom field in 1Password to be a password field you'll be able to use the password generator in that field.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Ben

• Johann_Gruber
    Johann_Gruber
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, the variation of the random words from the password generator in response to security issues is a very interesting alternative. I did not even think about that!

At the next opportunity, apply this possibility right away!

Once again, thank you very much for your help! You are absolutely great!

Greetings from Gruber Johann.

• You're very welcome. Thanks for the kind words. Happy to help. :)

Ben

• Johann_Gruber
    Johann_Gruber
    Community Member

Hello Ben,
    Excuse me, but I have a question today regarding 2FA.
    Did on Facebook the 2FA performed. Nevertheless, it is still listed under "not active"! How can I change that it is recognized as active?

Thank you.

Gruber Johann.

• @Johann_Gruber

If you're using 1Password to generate the 2FA codes then 1Password will remove the banner automatically but if you're using a 3rd party app (or SMS — not recommended if other options are available) you'll need to apply a 2FA tag to exclude it from the list.

Ben

• Johann_Gruber
    Johann_Gruber
    Community Member

Hello Ben,
    Excuse me, but I have another problem:

As always, this morning I wanted to check my favorites and lo and behold, Password mini can not be opened from Safari with several attempts. Yesterday it worked very well, but not today. I tried it in the episode on the dock. Here I was able to open 1Password, but everything was like in the version before, but without a password generator! Also could not open the web pages with the link! I also tried a reboot, but with the same result!
    Is there possibly a recruitment problem?

Could you please give me additional help?
    Many thanks and greetings from Gruber Johann.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Johann_Gruber: In the current version of 1Password for Mac, the password generator in 1Password mini is under "+ New Password":

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Johann_Gruber
    Johann_Gruber
    Community Member

hello brenty,
    Thank you for the quick response, but that's something ben already told me. However, the problem this morning was that I was unable to open 1Password from Password mini despite several attempts. 1Password could then be opened from the dock, but it was not in the latest version, as without "+ Password"!

Greetings from Gruber Johann.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Johann_Gruber: I don't know what this means:

I was unable to open 1Password from Password mini despite several attempts.

So if you can tell me the exact steps you're taking, that may be helpful.

However,

1Password could then be opened from the dock, but it was not in the latest version, as without "+ Password"!

This sounds like you still have an old version installed. Do a Spotlight search for "1password" and drag any copies you find to the Trash. Then restart your Mac and install a fresh copy of the current version:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Let me know how it goes!

• Johann_Gruber
    Johann_Gruber
    Community Member

hello Brenty,

Have now looked and found the following: in the dock is 1Password 7, version 7.3 (70300019) Mac App Store.
    created: 25.05.2019
    changed: 29.05.2019

There are 1 Password 7.3 in the Spotlite
    1 Password Troubleshooting (does not move to the recycle bin)

Question:
    1.) I still have to delete this version, restart the Mac and reinstall 1Password from the link?
    2nd) After the new installation I get a new security code and must I generate a new master password?
    3.) Is everything then available again as before?

Please do not get me wrong, but I do not want to have problems with deinstall and install.

Regards Gruber Johann

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1.) I still have to delete this version, restart the Mac and reinstall 1Password from the link?

@Johann_Gruber: It may help to go to the Applications folder in Finder and ⌘ Delete to move any copies of 1Password to the Trash before rebooting.

2nd) After the new installation I get a new security code and must I generate a new master password?

No. Use the same ones.

3.) Is everything then available again as before?

Provided you only remove the app, yes. Your data is stored separately. DO NOT use a "cleaner" app, as those tend to destroy data as well.

This discussion has been closed.