Clicking Website Address in 1Password Not Working

FutureImpulse
FutureImpulse
Community Member

Hello,

I use the standalone version of 1Password on my Mac mini (Mid 2010) and its behavior recently changed about one or two updates ago. I don't know if the change is expected behavior or if something is broken. I have updated all the browsers I use to their most recent versions and I have installed all system updates for my computer that have been released. I have also run into this same problem on a Mac mini (Late 2012) running macOS 10.13.6 and an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) running macOS 10.12.6.

My setup: Mac mini (Mid 2010) running macOS 10.13.6, 1Password 7.3 (70300020), Safari 12.1.1 (13607.2.6.1.2), Firefox 67.0 (64-bit), Google Chrome 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Usually what I do is I have the 1Password application open and I select one of the entries I have created. I then click on the website address saved in that entry and it switches to my default web browser, but it doesn't do anything; it does not open the website as expected. If I click "open and fill" next to the website address in 1Password it does the same thing; it switches over to the web browser, but it does not load the website. I have tried switching the default browser from Safari to Firefox to Google Chrome, but it does the same thing no matter which browser is set to the default. I shut my computer down all the time, so restarting it has had no effect on the behavior of 1Password.

Until about two or three updates ago (I think this started after 7.2.5 was released), if I clicked on a saved website address from within the 1Password application, it would switch to my default web browser and go to the website. I like this behavior because then I don't have to create a lot of bookmarks in my browser, I can just click website addresses as needed in 1Password. I don't use 1Password extensions in my browsers and I don't use 1Password mini. And I don't sync anything; I just run with a local 1Password database on my computer (no iCloud or WLAN Server interactions).

About the only thing I haven't tried is deleting 1Password 7 from my computer and reinstalling it from scratch. Any ideas what I should do? Is there any way to get 1Password's behavior back to what it was so that it switches to my default browser and goes to the website address that was clicked? Or is this expected behavior and all I can do is manually copy the website address from 1Password and paste it into my web browser?

1Password Version: 7.3 (70300020)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @FutureImpulse

I don't use 1Password extensions in my browsers and I don't use 1Password mini.

If you check 1Password > Preferences > Browsers > "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" and install the 1Password extension in your default browse does it work then?

Ben

• FutureImpulse
    FutureImpulse
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

That did it! Thanks! I did not have that option checked in the preferences of 1Password. Once I checked that preference and then went into Safari's extensions preferences and made sure the 1Password 7.3 extension was installed and active, I restarted my computer and now when I click a website address in 1Password it opens that website as expected in Safari. I tested this on the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) I use at work, but I'm sure this will also work on my Mac mini (Mid 2010) once I get home and have a chance to try this fix since it has the same software installed as the iMac. I'll report back once I get a chance to try this fix at home.

• FutureImpulse
    FutureImpulse
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I just ran through the same process on my Mac mini (Mid 2010) and it worked. Yay! Thank you for your help with this. I use 1Password daily and this was driving me nuts. Now I can get back to my normal routine.

• You're very welcome. Glad to hear that helped. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.