new computer problems

jelywalker
jelywalker
Community Member

I got a new computer and installed one password, it made me create an account. I am now trying to setup my account and I don't have the key. Where is this and how do I get it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new computer not syncing, can't find key

Comments

• Hi @jelywalker

If you have already added your account to 1Password for Mac you can get your Secret Key in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts > [your account] > Secret Key. If you haven't yet added the account to the Mac please check your Downloads folder for an Emergency Kit from 1Password which should contain the Secret Key.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jelywalker
    jelywalker
    Community Member

Unfortunately this does not fix my problem. Would there be a phone number I could speak to a person so I could explain the details of my situation?

Best,

Ely

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jelywalker: We do not have a call center, as it isn't feasible to exchange technical information or detailed instructions via voice. We can help you here or via email if you prefer -- support@1password.com -- and that allows you to gather information and/or follow instructions at your own pace. But it's important to note that not having the "keys" to your 1Password data isn't something we can fix for you anyway.

Just to clarify, do you have a 1Password membership subscription? We simply do not ever have either your Secret Key or Master Password, as that wouldn't be very secure at all. The Master Password is chosen by you, and the Secret Key is generated locally on your device. Neither is ever transmitted.

We don't have access to your data can't recover either of these for you, so I hope you're able to find your Emergency Kit, or have another authorized device where you can view your Secret Key. Otherwise it will not be possible to login to your 1Password Account. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

Either way, let me know how it goes.

• jelywalker
    jelywalker
    Community Member

Hi,

So let me explain a bit more as I believe there is still a solution. I had to reformat my MacBook. When I did this and tried to download 1password from the App Store, it downloaded the newest version and made my information read-only. I signed up for an account online using my email address, but I don't believe I ever associated it with the information on my computer as it remained read-only. That computer crashed and so I have a new MacBook. My 1password data is on the new MacBook but again is in a read only format. When I try to sign into my account, it requires the security key which I don't have (was lost on the previous computer).

The possible fix I am wondering about is if there is a way for you to reset my email address so that I can get a new account and a new key and then associate this with the data on my computer locally?

Best,

Ely

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@jelywalker - ah, gotcha -- if you want to download a previously-purchased version after a newer version has been released in the Mac App Store, you'd need to visit your purchase history and download it from there:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

If you just install the version from the main page, you'll get the current one. That's why your data is read-only. This read-only data...is it a standalone vault? If you're able to open 1Password for Mac, click Preferences > Vaults and let me know what you see there: how many vaults are there, and what are their names?

This discussion has been closed.