1Password 7 Safari extension doesn't work after upgrade May 29

Brian Bagley
Brian Bagley
Community Member

After the recent upgrade on May 29 the 1Password 7 Safari extension doesn't work. When I click on it nothing happens. I have tested the Firefox extension on this same MacBook Air and it works fine. When I try to un-install the Safari extension to re-install it says:
"To uninstall “1Password”, you must remove the “1Password 7” application".
Do I have to un-install the whole 1Password 7 application and re-install to fix this issue?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3 (70300019) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: https://my.1password.com

Comments

• Brian Bagley
    Brian Bagley
    Community Member

I fixed this by un-installing the whole 1Password 7 application and re-installing. Now the Safari extension works again.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member

I've also had instability after the new release. I haven't had to reinstall, but the extension helper has crashed a few times and I've had to restart Safari to get the extension to trigger.

• Hi folks,

In most cases a restart of the computer after installing 7.3 will resolve any issues. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Ben

• mheaz18
    mheaz18
    Community Member

I had to upgrade to 1Password 7 in order to keep my browser extensions working for Safari. I downloaded 1Password 7 and started my free trial. I then tried to install browser extension from 1Password menu. It took me to a page that stated that "extension included with 1Password 7" and does not allow me to install for Safari. So based on this thread, I tried to uninstall the app and then reinstall it, in hopes it will work when reinstalled. However, when I go to uninstall the app, it states that it can not uninstall because the app is in use (but I was closed out of the app). I then restarted my computer and got the same message when I went to uninstall the app. Please advise how to fix this!

• Hi @mheaz18

I'm sorry about the difficulty you're having. Please try the instructions here for uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password 7 (under "If you need to reinstall..."):

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/524296/#Comment_524296

Ben

• mheaz18
    mheaz18
    Community Member

Thank you for prompt response, but this is exactly what I did. When I go to drag the 1Password 7 app to trash, it states that "The item '1Passord 7' can't be moved to the Trash because it's open." However, I ensured it was closed properly and even restarted my computer, and then tried to drag it to trash and got the same message. Please advise.

• mheaz18
    mheaz18
    Community Member

Attached is a screen shot.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

@mheaz18

It sounds like step #1 may not have happened properly:

Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q).

Could you please try that step again?

Ben

• mheaz18
    mheaz18
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification. This worked, as previously I have only quit apps using Command Q.

• Thanks for the update @mheaz18. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• mheaz18
    mheaz18
    Community Member

Hi....actually there is more assistance I need. Your assistance before got everything back up and running just fine thanks again. However, I have been dealing with a virus named OnlyApplication. I have removed the virus yesterday, for the 2nd time. However, now my 1Password Safari extension is gone. I tried to Install from 1Password preferences, but it only takes me to a web page saying it is included with 1Password 7 upgrade. In addition, the extension is no longer listed in the Safari preferences. So following are my questions:

1) It seems like I need to uninstall and reinstall 1Password 7 again, correct?
    2) If so, I already deleted 1Password 6, which transferred all my data to 1Password 7 seamlessly. If I uninstall and reinstall 1Password 7 again, how do I ensure I do not lose my data?
    3) Are you familiar with or heard of this "OnlyApplication virus"? My problems only started happening at the time I lost my safari 6 extension, which required me to pay again for 1Password 7. Although I delete this virus when I first found it, it reappeared again after my last uninstall and reinstall of 1Password 7. Your update symbol in preferences is eerie similar to the OnlyAppication virus symbol too.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mheaz18 - I'm not familiar with that particular strain of virus, but if your Mac has been compromised, I'd be very careful about what you do on it until you're certain you've managed to get rid of everything potentially harmful. That's well outside the scope of what I can really advise you on here in this forum, but if you suspect (or you're certain) you have malware installed on your Mac, I might not even open 1Password for Mac until it's gone.

Having said that, what you're describing doesn't sound like malware to me, it sounds like what would happen if you were trying to use 1Password 6 for Mac in Safari 13. Is that what's happened? If so, here's our blog post on why that won’t work. I can't be entirely certain from just your description, however, so what I'd propose in order to get a better look at what might be going on with your 1Password setup, is I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#YIZ-27295-843]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @mheaz18 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: YIZ-27295-843

• mheaz18
    mheaz18
    Community Member

Lars, Thanks. I just sent the diagnostic report per your request.

Also, when I uninstall and reinstall 1Password 7, how do I ensure that I do not lose all my data (passwords, notes, etc....)?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mheaz18 - thanks, I received your email with the diagnostics report attached, and I'll respond there. Just to answer your question generically, however, 1Password for Mac stores your data in your ~/Library folder, not within the app bundle itself. So you can un/re-install the 1Password app all day long, without ever affecting your data. Don't worry. :)

This discussion has been closed.