I owe the 1Password team an apology

Sheza
Sheza
Community Member

Listen up, because it's not often I will publicly admit to doing something stupid and I'm only making this post because you deserve it.

When I posted in this thread about the latest update, I hadn't actually installed it yet.

My bad. I updated and... it's a big improvement from the last time you redesigned the mini. There's less empty space, text is more readable, it looks cleaner. And it's anchored where I activated it! Major gripe resolved. The buttons, which are now mostly words, are clearly understood. Generating new passwords is easier, clearer, and makes more sense. You did take on board a lot of the feedback from when I was being very vocal about the last redesign (which I made when I genuinely had installed it!)

That's not to say I don't have suggestions. The one biggest issue for me, and I know it's technically small but it has a big impact, is the noticeable delay between clicking and 1Password Mini actually appearing. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this in the previous version. Can this be fixed?

Suggestion number two comes from the thread I linked. As @brenty very clearly pointed out to me in my... excited state, you can't really have two versions of the app, one for more advanced people with a million AWS logins and one for us mere mortals, because then troubleshooting and support becomes twice as hard, and is much harder to develop for. What might be possible is as suggested by @Ben: "We don't currently have a way to show only suggested items of a particular category, though that may be something the development team would consider adding if there is demand for it."

Yes, please do. Please do add it. I actually won't use it, probably, because I don't need to. But it should be added as a feature, because (a) it's actually a bit confusing to have it not show suggested items from singular categories, as evidenced in the thread, and (b) it would help out those with a million items for the same site, even if just a little.

So there you go. I'm gonna sign up to the beta and cross my fingers that you can make the app open a bit quicker when clicked, and consider this my apology for mouthing off before I even installed the update. It was 6am, what can I say...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2019

Hi @Sheza,

Thanks for the kind words. We did take the feedback from the previous 1Password mini to heart, as you noticed. Sometimes it's difficult to see opinions from those with different workflows and perspectives, so we're grateful that people like yourself feel strongly enough to take the time to provide feedback.

Regarding your current feedback, yes, we will certainly look into that too. The goal of 1Password mini is to present you with the information one needs so they can use it as quickly as possible. This is from a user interface standpoint and a performance standpoint. One of the rules of thumb in software development is "do not optimize prematurely". Basically that means that while you are still making changes, do not spend too much time making it the fastest possible, when you are going to make larger changes and have to do it all over again. So we are still improving the mini experience based on feedback such as yours, we will certainly make improvements to performance as the changes from feedback get smaller and smaller..

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.