Many Problems in mini with recent update -

Options
mantzm
mantzm
Community Member

I have read many of the responses in the Forum - but you really need to realize this is difficult and time wasting for long time users of 1Password. Yes we want the new, but we need the new look and feel to work. From a development standpoint you look at this day in and day out and understand your logic on how you want it to work.

1 - When I go to the mini on my dock (top/bottom - where ever the user put it) I want to be able to search and then click go to get to that site. I may not always be on that site already to click go. Suggested websites don't help me at all if I do not even have my browser open. - I can ask it to display Favorites but it defaults back to suggested, not sure that is by design or just overlooked.

3 - The larger icons will work for allot of people, but not all - I like small and clean look - when I open the full app I do not mind the icons - but mini means mini to me. Give us a way to go back to classic view - (and I know that opened it up to trying to clarify what classic view is - lets say classic view would be prior to V7.3).

4 - Sounds like there is allot of debate on the password manager - in it's current state it is unusable for me - I need the extra tools easily ready to use, not hidden behind cog wheels and settings - I use password generator not only for passwords but also to create usernames. I'm also a developer of sorts and it seems many different organizations have different requirements for passwords - a general user as you have stated in previous posts do not care, but there are still many that need the tools. - Give us the tools to bring back to the front the tools we have used.

5 the big problem for me right now is - I have several/more than one Google/Microsoft etc accounts - they all enter from the same website - I need to go to mini to find the correct account (I use tags, which are not there anymore) I scroll down to the website press go and it fills in username - on website I have to press next then I have to go back to mini and hunt for that account again (it looses focus of most recent touched account (which means I'm hunting for that account again), "it did not use to do this" so I can press go for password, the design of those websites is partially the problem but not the whole problem. As you can see I am now making so many clicks and hunting and wasting so much time - now add one-time password timer to the equation and here I'm manually copying and pasting as the timer has changed the code, yes it can take 30 seconds or longer to do all these steps.

I'm sure there are smaller items that I have forgotten but these are the big ones for me.

In the world today time is money, lets not make things harder - I do not want to have to watch a video to re-learn the software with each update - I like your software for it's ease of use, but more importantly the features I have come accustomed to (that's why I keep coming back). Maybe a way to incorporate an animation letting me know that password generator has changed as an example - point: I don't want/need to leave the app to learn about the changes.

Many of the changes people are asking for do not require full rewrite of the code, just keep the older options available and let us choose what works best for our individual situation - push the new stuff out! Just give us a visual how to keep current and/or add the new.

Yes I'm on the standalone version - I can not justify a subscription - I have read and seen 1Password's view on the subject, so no need to go over it again. I get it! But lets start adding up your subscriptions, Microsoft's subscription, Dropbox on and on... now were are talking not just your $2.99 or $4.99 subscription models - it's basic economics on the consumer side -

Comments

• kthdnne
    kthdnne
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issues - Mini is unusable for me. I also have several logins for the same domain, and the search simply doesn't work. I have to scroll to find the right login every time. I've been a longtime user of 1Password, but this is a dealbreaker. The product no longer performs a critical function.

• neonox
    neonox
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

The new Mini is way better! I have around 15 logins for the same domain and the new Mini knows when to display the URL on the left and when not. This is really cool!
    It also displays the title, username and the url - so it's definitely an improvement. Also you can now resize the left pane (super cool!).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mantzm - thanks for the feedback! Allowing the mini to be set to open to Favorites is something we're currently exploring allowing users to do. So, though I've nothing to announce on that score currently, it's under consideration. I'm not sure what you meant by:

When I go to the mini on my dock (top/bottom - where ever the user put it) I want to be able to search and then click go to get to that site.

The mini doesn't reside in your Mac's Dock, and you can invoke it from anywhere by means of the ⌥⌘\ (cmd+opt+backslash) keyboard combination. When you do, you can begin typing into the search bar immediately and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

I appreciate your thoughts regarding icon size, and I'll pass them along to the development team, but one thing I can't see happening is the creation (and maintenance) of a dual-track, switchable UI with various components changeable. It would be a nightmare to support two versions and make sure the feature parity as well as the design worked across both -- not that it couldn't be done, just that it would require development and design resources that we then wouldn't be able to use to improve 1Password in other ways.

The same applies to the Password Generator; it's not something I can see us maintaining two versions of. One of our goals is to make 1Password easy to use for most users, not just give a lot of toggle/checkbox/preference options to the power-users. We've got plenty of users now from all walks of life, and we need to take into account everyone's use-cases. The checkboxes for digits and symbols are still there, they simply require one additional click if you need to access them (and they "remember" their most-recently-used state, so assuming you don't need to change them due to the requirements of a particular site (or your own needs), you won't even need to adjust this. As always, you can also manually edit any suggested generated password (though we recommend in general not to do this, as humans tend to be a lot less good at creating true randomness than we think we are).

Tags is another issue we're considering adding back into the mini - though I don't have anything to announce on that score just now, either. However, much of what people use tags to accomplish can be done even faster with search alone: just start typing, and you'll usually get right to what you want.

Thanks for taking the time to share your views and use-case with us, and let us know if you spot anything else you have questions or thoughts about. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @kthdnne! I'd be curious to know what your specific use-case is. If you can take a screenshot of what you’re seeing (don’t include any personal information in this public forum, which would have to be removed for your protection), that would be helpful. As @neonox mentions, search is quite accurate in the new mini in general, which makes me wonder what you might be experiencing. Can you tell us what specific steps you're taking/search terms you're using? Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@neonox - thanks for the feedback; I'm glad you like the new update. :)

• neonox
    neonox
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars one thing I noticed is now bad :( I was able to work with the Mini only with the keyboard and I was able generate a new password. That is not possible anymore and I have to use the mouse :(

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019
    Options

@neonox

I'm not having any difficulty with that...

⌘⌥\ (Command Option Backslash) to open mini
    ⌘N (Command N) to open the password generator

Could you please let me know where you're having trouble?

Ben

• neonox
    neonox
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben thanks! that works!

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

The new 1Password Mini lacks controls for setting the quantity of digits and symbols. This useful capability is still present in the 1Password Mac application. (See attached screen shots.) Please restore this functionality to 1Password Mini. Thanks.

New Mini:

Mac application:

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @neonox. Glad to hear that worked. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@billj

That was an intentional change. My colleague Jeff Goldberg, our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, has asked for specific examples of why this is useful here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/508624/#Comment_508624

The idea is that the generator should be producing more acceptable passwords with less adjustment necessary. If you're not finding that to be the case, I'm sure he would be interested to hear the details.

Thanks.

Ben

• kthdnne
    kthdnne
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars , my use case is that I work for, let's call it, mycompany.com. I have a login named Mycompany and my username is kathy@mycompany.com. I also have multiple logins for the same site where the user name is somethingelse@mycompany.com. When I search for Mycompany, nothing happens. It seems like it doesn't filter results because Mycompany is part of the username for multiple logins. I've been trying to rename the Mycompany login to make it searchable with limited success.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

@kthdnne - hmmm, I'm not able to reproduce that behavior here at all. There have been inconsistencies with search in previous versions of 1Password, but the 7.3 update is pretty stable -- is that what you're using? If not, please update to the newest version. The only other thing I can think of would be making sure on all of the mycompany.com items that you have NOT set the default for "Display" to "Never suggest in browser."

You can check this by clicking "Edit" on the items in question and then clicking the drop-down for "Display." If it's set to "Suggest in browser," you should see those items when you search even if you call the items something totally unrelated that doesn't include the "mycompany" name, because "mycompany" IS part of the URL. Let me know what you discover.

• johnksawers
    johnksawers
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my vote for adding the ability to set a default view in Mini. 80% of the time I open Mini I'm going for a single password in my favorites and now I have to [click, read a list, scroll down, select favorites, click the favorite, click the password] in order to get there. I'm glad to hear it's under consideration.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sharing your perspective. We'll see what works best for most people. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @johnksawers! Thanks for the feedback. :)

• mcbright
    mcbright
    Community Member
    Options

I'm afraid I have to agree with the critics. I've found the new version of mini to be radically less useful. The icon size is wastefully large, the placement of the edit and pin buttons on the bottom is inconvenient, and generating passwords is irritatingly obscure.

Oh, and search. I can't seem to find the old option to only have it search title of records. I generally don't want it to search the full text. Full text searching generally brings up records that happen to have the text fragment I'm searching for in the url. I don't want to have to sift through that. I did like having it as an option, I have used it before, but generally I don't want it on.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you too for the feedback @mcbright, we appreciate it. And welcome to the forum :)

• doof
    doof
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

If I search for a website in mini (in order to extract a password that I want to paste into an app as the app has the same login as the website) the search box in mini doesn't come up with anything. I have to open the 1password app in order to get to it. Am I just doing it wrong or is search in mini now broken?

Screenshots:

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

I think new mini window placement is worse than previous, if I open mini anything from the center to bottom of the screen mini is always in the bottom of the screen. I like that there would be space left in the bottom of the screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@finadeon: Can you clarify? Here, mini opens either at the browser or menu bar button when I click it with the mouse, or at the position I last moved it to when opening using the keyboard shortcut -- ⌘ ⌥ \.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@doof: Which vault do you have selected in the first screenshot? And are you at a specific website when you're searching in the browser?

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yes opening from menubar it is opening from top right below menubar icon. When opening it from keyboard shortcut it seems to be opening at where I last moved it. I think I change my habits and open it with keyboard shorcut, thank you for mentioning it.

But when opening with mouse from browser right click menu it "follows" mouse cursor and opens below the mouse cursor and if the cursor is anything below center of the screen the mini window opens in bottom of screen. (I have mediocre fullhd resolution monitor).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@finadeon - I can't be sure, based on your description of your monitor and also that you're clicking in the lower-half of your screen anyway, but it sounds to me as if it may be that there's no more room for it to be any lower down. I'm using a big, high-res 27" 5K iMac, and I still have the same issue if I get much below halfway down; there just isn't much more real estate below the cursor-click and the bottom of the screen.

• GeorgeAndy
    GeorgeAndy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure the intention of the latest update was to make the app easier to use. But for me the result has been the opposite. When I open mini in my browser (usually Firefox), it used to open to Favorites and with one click I could open and fill the desired website. That was so great! But now it opens to "suggestions," which is not useful because I'm not yet on the website I want to open. It takes one click to switch to favorites, then another click to select the website, then another click on Autofill. Total of three clicks required, compared to one click with the previous version. Not a deal-breaker – I still find 1Password is indispensable – but definitely less convenient.

If there is something I'm not understanding about how best to use the new version mini, please point me toward a tutorial on how to make it easier. Otherwise I would really welcome a return to the old one-click-and-go.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @GeorgeAndy! Thanks so much for taking the time to create an account here to share your thoughts with us on the new mini in 1Password for Mac 7.3. We really appreciate the feedback.

But now it opens to "suggestions," which is not useful because I'm not yet on the website I want to open. It takes one click to switch to favorites, then another click to select the website, then another click on Autofill. Total of three clicks required, compared to one click with the previous version.

Yeah, we noticed, and we've been kicking around some ideas on how that might be made a little more flexible while still retaining the overarching theme of the changes to the mini in 7.3: that the mini is chiefly about filling. I don't have anything particular to announce on that score right now, but keep an eye on updates and their associated release notes. And if you'd like to be among the first to get early access to changes and you don't mind running beta software, feel free to click "Include beta builds" in 1Password for Mac's Preferences > Updates and join us on the bleeding edge! :)

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

AgileBits I think this post above by @GeorgeAndy exemplifies the fact that you guys have a user base that can be divided into two fundamentally different camps ...

1. The "Launch and Fill" camp like @GeorgeAndy who use the mini sort of like "website bookmarks" and so they prefer to have the mini default to the Favorites view so they can quickly click on their desired website which will then be opened in their browser and their login credentials filled in.

2. The "Navigate and Fill" camp who navigate to the website first and then invoke the mini to fill in login, identity, or credit card information so they prefer the mini to default to the Suggestions view.

Now personally I'm a member of the "Navigate and Fill" camp so the mini defaulting to the Suggestions view is fine for me. But I can understand how others have different and just as valid workflows. So you may want to seriously consider implementing a user preference for the default view of the mini. And if you are hesitant to go down that road then perhaps re-consider the idea I mentioned in the Feedback on intelligent suggestions for filling thread ....

"Perhaps it would be more intuitive to have a design that's intended to "suggest only what you can fill ... unless you can't fill anything so then display the Favorites view instead". That way the Suggestions view only appears by default when there's something it can auto-fill, and your Favorites view appears by default otherwise."

This way both camps get functionality they expect and find useful. Just my 2 cents.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OAW - :lol: LOL - we've got a few more camps of users than that, and all of them would like us to design for their use-case. ;) It's not an easy - or sometimes, even a possible - path to tread, trying to keep everyone's sometimes-conflicting use-cases and preferences in mind. We do and will continue to try, however. :)

I think you've got it about right here, and as I mentioned in reply to @GeorgeAndy, there are indeed some ideas being kicked around internally for how we might be able to satisfy both groups - at least mostly. I don't have anything to announce on the subject just now, but, well...I already said that last reply. ;)

• doof
    doof
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

@brenty In the first screenshot I am in 'All Vaults'. Switching to any of the individual vaults doesn't change things. I am not at any specific website, in fact I don't necessarily even have a browser open.

• Ben
    Options

@doof

That's a bit strange... can you please edit the Login item in question and make sure that "display" is set to "Suggest in browser"? If that is set to "never" then the item won't appear in mini.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.