iCloud drive shared folder sync in 1Password with the latest releases of iOS 13 and Mac OS Catalina?

Options
romanrev
romanrev
Community Member

Hello,

With the latest announcements of iCloud Drive folder sharing in the iOS 13 and Mac OS Catalina will the next version of 1Password get this feature? I am a long term user of the 1Password standalone, upgraded to 1Password 7 the moment it went into preview, and I am quite put off with the latest Dropbox policies of only allowing 3 devices to sync with the same Dropbox account. Also 1Password is almost the only reason I keep using Dropbox - with the majority of my files having been migrated to other Cloud sync services such as iCloud or Yandex.Disk.
Is there any chance of the shared iCloud folder will be supported by 1Password?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• 1Password uses CloudKit, a different technology, to sync, as CloudKit is more suited to database-level syncing. So while this announcement is intriguing, it doesn’t affect iCloud sync in 1Password.

To sync with others, we recommend a Family Account, as it was built with multi-user syncing in mind.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• romanrev
    romanrev
    Community Member
    Options

I reckon you are talking about Apple's library CloudKit Kevin? Are you sure there won't be any changes to it with the iOS 13 with regard to the shared folders? I would be surprised if not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'd be more surprised if there were any changes to it. CloudKit has been stable for a long time, and there's not really any need to mess with it, especially with regard to folder sharing since, as Kevin already mentioned, CloudKit is database/keyvalue sync, not file sync (like iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc.) Apples and oranges. :)

• romanrev
    romanrev
    Community Member
    Options

Every database or key-store value has an endpoint which corresponds to some physical (or virtual) location. So I cannot see how using CloudKit can exclude specifying what location one would like to write their key-value pairs to.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You'd have to take it up with Apple. They don't expose the database filesystem they're using to store key value data to us or anyone else via CloudKit. :tongue:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's not something we have plans for, for many reasons: it's not designed for our use case (1Password is not a document-based app), Apple provides a more suitable sync method already (CloudKit), iCloud is limited to Apple devices (1Password users are not), and we have our own service that's an even better fit for 1Password already.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Livy - you're welcome to experiment however you'd like -- after all, once you purchase a license, it's your copy to do with what you wish -- but to reiterate what brenty has already said, that won't be an option we'll be supporting (at least not for the foreseeable future).

Regarding cost, a standalone license for a single version of either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows retails for $64.99 (though they are currently on sale for $49.99). If you use both platforms, you need a license for each one. And because licenses are sold per-version, when the next iteration of 1Password is released, you'd need another one (or two, if you use both platforms), assuming all else remains equal. Looking at our version history should give you a good idea of how often a new full version is released. It has varied over the years due to numerous factors, but I'd say anywhere from 18 to 24 months is a decent average/estimate.

An individual 1Password membership, by contrast, includes access to all four of our native 1Password apps (including all future upgrades at no additional charge), and costs $35.88/yr if paid annually...meaning that you'd need to cross the 22 month threshold before a single license would become a better deal than a 1password.com membership. If you use both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows, you'd need more than three and a half years before that would be the case. And that's just the financial side of it; it doesn't factor in all the other benefits of 1password.com memberships. If you've got more than one family member who'd like to use 1Password, a 1Password Families membership is only $59.88/yr, and covers up to five users. Obviously, individual situations vary, but the idea that a 1Password membership is "expensive" in comparison to standalone licenses just doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019
    Options

@Livy

I barely mentioned the subscription was expensive

"we recommend our (expensive) subscription"

These are your words. 🤷🏻‍♂️But no point arguing...

Granted, the hidden question was if simultaneous sync was an option to become reality (on macOS)

No.

My main question was: Where does the CloudKit option save it's sync files, and which format are they saved in? If those are saved in the .opvault format, it would be really nice if you could tell me the save location since I couldn't find anything using Xcodes Instruments application.

That isn't information that we have. Sorry. That would be a question for Apple. They operate the CloudKit service.

Ben

• romanrev
    romanrev
    Community Member
    Options

If you had an option of using your subscription service while still being able to sync 1Password vaults using iCloud/Dropbox I would have switched without hesitation.

• rudy
    Options

@romanrev,

You can… I'm signed into several 1Password accounts and have local vaults set to sync with iCloud/Dropbox/WLan.

• romanrev
    romanrev
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy thanks for your reply. So that means I would be able to keep my "main" vault also outside of the 1Password native sync? And continue to use third-party services for syncing it such as Dropbox/iCloud?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romanrev - it's not a setup we recommend, but you can do it, yes -- with some of the same caveats still present that were a big part of what drove us to create 1password.com accounts in the first place.

Remember that Dropbox is now limited to three devices unless you subscribe to their service (which is considerably more expensive at $9.99 than a 1password.com membership), and iCloud sync in 1Password is limited to only a single vault (your Primary vault). I suppose if you only have one vault, or you plan to never need to use 1Password on more than three devices, this can still work, but it's certainly more work than simply using a 1password.com membership the way it was intended.

You don't have to justify your choices to us if you don't wish to, but I'll admit to being curious about why you'd want to subscribe to a 1password.com membership then not use it, in favor of standalone vaults which you then sync via another cloud service (Dropbox, iCloud). I've met people on these forums who want the ease-of-subscription (and access to ALL our apps including all upgrades) but who are anti-cloud and want to either not sync their 1Password data at all, or sync it only using 1Password for Mac's WLAN server. But if you're willing to use Dropbox or iCloud, I'd be interested in hearing what you think you'd be gaining (or avoiding) by going to such lengths to use one of those 3rd party cloud services instead of just using 1password.com -- if you don't mind sharing?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Livy: You brought it up; Lars told you.

And it absolutely shows up in 1Password:

You'll get that license option if you setup 1Password with a standalone vault, not an account, as the latter doesn't require purchasing separate licenses at all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You really don't read any messages beyond keywords, do you?

@Livy: No need to be rude. I answered your question. Just because I don't give you the answer you want doesn't mean I didn't read what you wrote, or that the answer is incorrect. :)

How exactly do you believe your customers are supposed to find out about that sale

You brought it up; Lars told you.

Anyway, I get what you're saying, but what I don't understand is why you expect that everything be presented only in the way you personally feel is best.

Where on your screenshots does it mention a "sale"? I only see a price.

I did not say that it mentions a sale explicitly; the price is listed because that's what it costs. And it was in the announcement for 1Password 7

I'm not even sure why you want to argue about any of this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Livy: I'm not even sure what we're talking about anymore. Do you need help using 1Password? If so, please let me know the specifics. If not, let's dispense with this argument which is not going anywhere. I'm not the one trying to change the topic. This discussion is about iCloud Drive in Catalina, but you seem to have another agenda.

This discussion has been closed.