Am I doing something wrong? (Editing passwords on IOS)

Doug0915
Doug0915
Community Member

This has been bugging me for some time.

Say I need to edit a password, when I touch the password field I get a pop-up window on the bottom asking to "Use Strong password" or "Choose my Own password". If I choose "Use Strong Password" the pop up goes away. If I touch "Choose my own Password" the entire password field is blanked out, and I would have to retype the entire password with the changes I want to make.

That is VERY annoying when I only want to change a character or two in the middle of the password.

Am I doing something wrong?

1Password Version: Latest on IOS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Doug0915

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I'm not seeing either of those options... could you please confirm which version of 1Password for iOS you are using?

This is what I see when I edit an item:

and then when I tap in the (concealed) password field I can move the cursor around and make changes:

Ben

• Doug0915
    Doug0915
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Sure, The version is 7.3.1 on IOS.

Here is a screenshot of what I see when I hit edit on the page (my email is blacked out). The pop up is on the bottom. The pop up looks like it's coming from IOS and not 1password. Maybe there is something flipped on in IOS that is causing it?

• The pop up looks like it's coming from IOS and not 1password. Maybe there is something flipped on in IOS that is causing it?

That's correct. :) Please see this guide:

https://support.1password.com/ios-autofill/

Especially the tip:

To stop iCloud Keychain from asking to save your passwords, deselect iCloud Keychain. Then you’ll always know passwords are saved in 1Password, without any confusion.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Doug0915
    Doug0915
    Community Member

Yes, that did the trick! I seriously don't remember turning that on. Oh well. thanks again!

• You're very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• harrist4
    harrist4
    Community Member

Is there any chance of some day making it easy to edit that hidden password field? Your own screenshots show the problem I struggle with whenever using the iOS app to create passwords: the app creates a nice strong password, then I need to tweak it (have to add a digit or something for some silly site), but I have to edit it blindly, looking at the position of the cursor in the hidden password field.
    There must be a better way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@harrist4: That will really depend on Apple. We're using their Secure Input in password fields to protect the data there, and that's just how those work. I cannot really fathom how they could keep it secure and allow more flexibility as far as editing/navigation...but I also don't have access to anything under the hood in the OS so maybe there's a way. I think the solution for your specific example is for us to somehow make the password generator able to cope with weird stuff like that...or for websites to join us in the 21st century and cut it out with silly password requirements/limitations that add no security, only inconvenience.

• harrist4
    harrist4
    Community Member

Thanks, it makes sense that you are at the mercy of the iOS API.
    Even something as simple as a highlighted letter in the plaintext showing where the cursor is in the cyphertext would help.

As it is, I feel like I'm navigating through the editing process with a map and compass.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully there will be a way to improve it in the future. But given the current options, I'm totally okay with sticking with security. :)

• adam8810
    adam8810
    Community Member

@brenty I know this is an old thread but I wanted to clarify on the problem @harrist4 mentioned. While editing the password you’re saying it’s an OS limitation that prevents the iOS app from using a text field instead of a password field type? This would allow for inline editing of the password.

• Hi @adam8810

Not quite. We could absolutely use a text field. We won't, because there is no way currently to apply the protections iOS provides to password fields to standard text fields. It is definitely a conscious choice on our part, based on the available technology.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.