What's AgileBits iOS support policy?

XIII
XIII
Community Member

What's AgileBits iOS support policy?

Do you generally only support the latest version of iOS ("because security")? Or the previous one as well?

Reason for asking: I am a 1Password Families customer, but almost all my family members have Apple devices that are not supported in iOS 13 (iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, original iPad Air) and they don't plan to buy newer Apple devices in the near future (the devices are still fine for their needs).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @XIII

Our official stance is:

As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password.

We do not guarantee compatibility with previous generation operating systems, especially with iOS where adoption rates are very high. Security is certainly one important reason, but it isn't the only reason. We tend to be on top of any new technologies Apple offers (Touch ID / Face ID, drag & drop, Password AutoFill, etc) and limiting support to the latest OS makes that possible / more feasible. I'm not sure at this point what if any game changing features iOS 13 is going to bring for 1Password, but there is usually something, and so I wouldn't be surprised if iOS 13 is the way forward shortly after its release.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Thanks. I was afraid of this.

Can one downgrade from Families to Personal (if necessary)?

• You can. It would require that there only be one account within the membership.

Ben

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

I'm not sure at this point what if any game changing features iOS 13 is going to bring for 1Password

There's unconfirmed reports that iOS 13 (on newer iPhones) will support true two/three factor authentication for highly sensitive tasks such as online banking apps.

For example:

• TouchID (under the screen) + FaceID
    • TouchID or FaceID + PIN/Passcode
    • TouchID + FaceID + PIN/Passcode

Obviously it's too early to say whether or not the reincarnated TouchID rumours are true, or even if they'll implement this, but if they do it'd be a killer feature for unlocking 1Password - potentially tapping the icon (recognising the fingerprint) and then scanning FaceID for added security.

• gordcook
    gordcook
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Grrr. Marketing people... :angry:

<soapbox>
    TouchID and FaceID are both biometric authentication mechanisms, and are therefore the same factor (something intrinsic to you) and is therefore more like enhanced 1FA than "true" 2FA. It's equivalent to having two passwords (or a password and a PIN) and calling that 2FA. It reminds me of the time that someone tried to tell me that login + password was 2FA. LOL.

The 2nd and 3rd bullets are therefore simply variations on 2FA (something intrinsic to you + something you know). Three factor authentication would require a least one method from each of the following categories:
    1. something you know (e.g. PIN/Passcode)
    2. something you have (e.g. U2F key)
    3. something intrinsic to you (e.g. biometrics)
    Two methods from the same category don't count as different factors.

There is "true" two factor authentication in this rumour, but not three factor. It's just marketing hype.
    </soapbox>
    :sweat:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

I don't see any "marketing", and I don't think it's worth getting upset over. Not a fan of the term "autofill", but oh well. ;)

I would agree that maybe "two-step" is a better term in this case. For better or for worse, there are a lot of cases where terms are used for something other than their original meaning. It's unfortunate since it can cause confusion, but I think we can all agree that people improving their security is a good thing regardless of what they happen to call it. :)

This discussion has been closed.