I had tags and now I don't?

Options
Peter_Pappas
Peter_Pappas
Community Member

The icon at the top of my computer in the "task bar", is that what is called mini? (I am 10.14.5 os)

Up until the update done a couple of days ago I was able to hit the gear and see my Tags folders and go to my favorite sites. No more . . .

After a search I read you guys are "considering" putting Tags into the newest version. What have I been using all along? So what is the "new" recommendation for finding a bank or a stock company using the gear icon?

This is a side note, and I know the care level is not what it was years ago, but pushing and pulling the daily routine of a person is only going to cause negative collateral. You need to think twice about that before ruining the daily workflow of a person. I have been thru this before with you guys, so I know you sound all innocent and"lovely" here, but when you have your meetings, having a a'we can do anything" attitude is only going to get people upset. They react differently, some of them leave, enough of them leave and you won't have a job.

Peter
Miami, Florida

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Peter_Pappas

I'm sorry to hear we've interrupted your workflow. That is never our goal, but any change we make is likely to interrupt someone, unfortunately, and as 1Password's customer base continues to grow it is more and more likely to be many someones. That hardly seems like justification to not try and make things better. :) The changes we've made to mini were driven by feedback from customers like yourself. One of the main complaints we heard about the previous iteration of mini is that it wasn't 'mini': it had too much "stuff" (including tags) in it, and it was distracting. It tried to present too much information, and wouldn't "get out of its own way."

The icon at the top of my computer in the "task bar", is that what is called mini? (I am 10.14.5 os)

The bar at the top of your screen is the "menu bar" and it should contain the 1Password icon, which you can click on to access 1Password mini:

Up until the update done a couple of days ago I was able to hit the gear and see my Tags folders and go to my favorite sites. No more . . .

You can search for the name of a tag to bring up the items that have that tag applied. For example if you search for 'banking' and you have a tag called 'banking' it'll return all of the items with that tag.

After a search I read you guys are "considering" putting Tags into the newest version

Correct. We're looking into the possibility of bringing the list of tags back into mini. I can't promise that we will, but it is something that is being evaluated. In any event, to address your main question:

So what is the "new" recommendation for finding a bank or a stock company using the gear icon?

Typing the first couple of characters of the name of the site you want to visit in the search bar should do it. For example, if I want to access my Schwab account, I just type 'sch' and 1Password mini suggests the correct Login item for me. In short, similar to the Gmail motto: "search, don't sort," seems to be the most efficient workflow.

Does that help?

Ben

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    Options

"I'm sorry to hear we've interrupted your workflow. " Sassy - a great way to start, you really put me in my place ya know lol.

So I will be sassy too and make it look like serious response :)
    What you are saying is that a lot of people didn't like the Mini because it was too much info. So instead of making the drop down menu which now has "all items" or "favorites" in it to have those two items but also add a choice of "tags" you just ripped tags out of the whole shabang. Okay, really smart choice, my 2 cents . . .

The interesting thing you mentioned is when I start typing in the search bar it will also return the tags too. So if I put in "bank" it will return everything with the name bank, but also return all the tags with a tag bank too. That can be a workaround. Only thing is I would have to make a tag a little bit different so it doesn't return all the things with "bank" in it. That's doable, bad choice on the company's part, but doable, I just have to remember the names of my tags. I can write them on a pad next to my computer by hand with pen and paper (I know, we are in the computer age and still have to use pen and paper to make them work lol ).

Thanks :) I know I sound like a smart a$$, but the front line guys almost always respond with that same attitude and after a while you can tell who is someone like a programmer that jumps in to respond in a no nonsense style and those that have to deal with us idiots all day long and probably get fed up with it day after day. On the other hand, when you take away something that has been there all along and expect "nice and roll over" that isn't realistic either. The easy thing would have been to put "tags" as a choice in the drop down menu at the top left under the search line, but then I am probably not smart enough to think of that ;) Thanks for the answer, at least there was a possibility in there that can work and I appreciate that.

Peter
    Miami, Florida

• Ben
    Options

Sassy

Sass wasn't my intended tone. I suppose if that is how you've interpreted my message there is nothing I could say that would make you think otherwise. That said, I'm honestly not sure what I could have said that would've been received more positively. For what it's worth, my only intention was to help in the best way I'm able.

The easy thing would have been to put "tags" as a choice in the drop down menu at the top left under the search line, but then I am probably not smart enough to think of that ;)

We may end up with exactly that. That is one avenue we're exploring.

Thanks for the answer, at least there was a possibility in there that can work and I appreciate that.

You're welcome. I do hope it helps.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.