Opera extension just keeps blinking and won't work at all

Options
manishgiri
manishgiri
Community Member

I just upgraded Opera (60.0.3255.151) and installed the 1Password extension from the Chrome web store. When I click on it, nothing happens. It just keeps blinking for some reason. I've installed a few other extensions from the chrome web store and they all work fine.

I found a related thread on this blinking issue (for Firefox) here, but the suggested solutions didn't work for me.

I also tried another way - When I click on the 1Password icon on my mac toolbar (with Opera open), I get this pop-up which says "add 1password to opera" -

But when I click on the button, it downloads a .crx file which just opens Google Chrome instead.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3 (70300019) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:opera extension not working

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@manishgiri: You'll need to use this to enable that functionality -- installing Chrome extensions in their Chrome-based browser normally:

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/install-chrome-extensions/

Then you should be able to add 1Password or any other Chrome extensions. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• manishgiri
    manishgiri
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank You for responding. I already have that extension installed, which is how I was able to install and test other Chrome extensions like Grammarly and Honey, as I mentioned.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@manishgiri: I don't follow. What do you need help with then?

• manishgiri
    manishgiri
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

As I mentioned here in the first para of my original post -

I just upgraded Opera (60.0.3255.151) and installed the 1Password extension from the Chrome web store. When I click on it, nothing happens. It just keeps blinking for some reason

When I click on the 1Password extension in Opera, nothing happens. I can see that the extension is blinking in the browser. But there is nothing else.

Normally, you’d expect the browser extension to open a mini window in the browser using which you can fill up passwords, among other things. But in this case, nothing.

I can make a video and share the link if you want.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@manishgiri: Thanks for clarifying! You should be able to install it from the Chrome Web Store, just like the rest of those extensions. That seems to work here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk?hl=en

Opera just doesn't let you install Chrome extensions from anywhere but the Chrome Web Store, and even then only by installing another extension from their.s But we'll see if there's some way for us to work around that. Thank you for bringing it up! :)

ref: web/1password.com#343

• Bezbozny
    Bezbozny
    Community Member
    Options

After installing the latest version 7.4.1 i have the same problem. the above mentioned solution does not work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bezbozny: You're having trouble installing the 1Password desktop extension in Opera? Can you be specific?

• Bezbozny
    Bezbozny
    Community Member
    Options

The extension was installed as per instructions. In the extension panel it shows as installed and enabled. But the icon is just blinking and it can not be clicked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bezbozny: It sounds like Native Messaging is hung up in your case, and a restart would re-initialize that. But Quitting 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q -- and Opera before restarting both may work too. A reboot ensures there aren't any other processes preventing them from being reset fully though. Cheers! :)

• Bezbozny
    Bezbozny
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Brenty,

Thank you very much for your help. Quitting 1password completely and opera did the trick!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bezbozny - glad to hear it! On behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome. Glad he was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.