Safari extension doesn't respond when clicked

This discussion was created from comments split from: Autofill not working 7.3b12 with Safari Tech Preview Release 80.

Comments

• JVClair
    JVClair
    Community Member

1Password 7.3 (703000019) is just frozen on Safari (Version 12.1), it does not respond when clicked and also freezes 1Password in the top menu bar. Works fine in Chrome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JVClair: Just to clarify, it sounds like you're not using Safari Technology Preview, which is the topic of this discussion. Is that correct? If so, the issue you're having isn't related to this, so please let me know all of the details and I'll split you off:

• Exact OS version
    • Exact versions of all browsers you're using
    • Exact extension versions installed in each
    • Exact steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening as you expect

Thanks in advance!

• JVClair
    JVClair
    Community Member

Thanks - I am using MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.4 (Latest). Safari is Version 12.1 (14607.1.40.1.4). Chrome is 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build 64 Bit). I have recently recovered this Mac from a full backup using Carbon Copy Cloner. (I am using the official version of 1Password 7.3 (70300019)). 1Password works fine stand alone and the extension works fine in Chrome. But the Safari Browser extension doesn't respond when clicked at all and doesn't fill passwords. I can disable and enable the extension but trying to remove the extension to reinstall - wants me to remove 1Password completely and reinstall.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JVClair: What do you see in Safari Preferences > Extensions? Send a screenshot. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• JVClair
    JVClair
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JVClair: Thanks, but that isn't Safari Preferences > Extensions. Can you send me a screenshot of that window instead?

• JVClair
    JVClair
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JVClair: Thanks! That's much clearer. Pease do the following:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Control Option Q
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Update macOS and Safari -- both are outdated, and you should be on 10.14.5 and 12.1.1 respectively
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    7. Open Safari and enable 1Password in Preferences > Extensions

Let me know how it goes. :)

• JVClair
    JVClair
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty, That worked :) Actually updating to MacOS 10.14.5 and Safari 12.11 did the trick I didn't need to reinstall 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of brenty, you are very welcome @JVClair!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• rphewitt
    rphewitt
    Community Member

I have the same problem (1Password Safari extension is frozen). I am using MacOS 10.12.6 and Safari 12.1 but unable to upgrade because of restrictions from our IT department (US government research lab). I ungraded from 1Password 6 to 7 not knowing that also upgrading to the latest version of Mac OS would be a requirement. Is there another solution?

• @rphewitt

Would using a different web browser be an option? That would be the only other possible workaround I'd be aware of at this time.

Ben

• rphewitt
    rphewitt
    Community Member

I could use Chrome, but lose the benefit of syncing bookmarks via iCloud. What is the earliest version of Safari that is compatible with 1PW version 7 extension. I was under the impression that Safari 12.1 would be OK.

• chfourie
    chfourie
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. It is intermittent though. Sometimes it works like a charm, some time it is sluggish, some times it doesn't wanna open at all. When it doesn't want to open from Safari, it also doesn't want to open from the OSX top task bar. (If you right-click and select to open (i.e. full destkop app), it does open.) If I switch over to chrome though, it works, so it seems to be Safari specific. I am using...

• OSX Mojave 10.14.5
    • Safari version 12.1.1 (14607.2.6.1.1)
    • 1Password 7.1

I am experiencing the above on 2 computers, one of which has been freshly installed less than a month ago.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @chfourie! Please update to the current version (7.3) of 1Password for Mac and restart your Mac. Let us know how that works for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rphewitt - it isn't Safari that's the problem here, I don't think, it's the combination of version 12.x with such an old version of macOS. The current version of Safari is only 12.1.1, so it's not as if you're miles behind there. But the first step would be to update Safari if you can -- I doubt that will solve the issue for you completely, but it's a good first step. But it's the combination of 1Password for Mac 7.3 with Safari 12.1 over such an old version of macOS is likely what's causing the issue. If things persist, then I'd recommend a modification of the steps brenty gave above:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Delete 1Password 7 for Mac - don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Visit our downloads page to download and install a fresh copy of 1Password.
    6. Open Safari and enable 1Password in Preferences > Extensions

Let us know how that works for you.

• rphewitt
    rphewitt
    Community Member

I was able to update to Safari 12.1.1 while continuing to use Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). The problem persists. However, I noticed that if I bring up the Extensions tab under Safari Preferences, confirm that 1Password 7.3 extension is enabled and close the Preferences dialog box, the 1PW Safari button and the Mini 1PW button (on the menu bar) now respond.

I have yet to delete and reinstall 1PW. However, I thought I would report the above behavior in case it is diagnostic of something else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

However, I noticed that if I bring up the Extensions tab under Safari Preferences, confirm that 1Password 7.3 extension is enabled and close the Preferences dialog box, the 1PW Safari button and the Mini 1PW button (on the menu bar) now respond.

@rphewitt: That's exactly how it's supposed to work. What's the problem? I don't understand why you'd need to reinstall anything.

• rphewitt
    rphewitt
    Community Member

Perhaps I didn't explain this correctly. The extension is already enabled. But I have to re-confirm it every time I re-open Safari. Previous versions of 1PW required this only once.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rphewitt: Thanks for getting back to me! Can you tell me what you mean by "re-confirm" though? What are the specific steps your'e taking, and what is (or is not) happening as you expect? Perhaps a screenshot would help. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• rphewitt
    rphewitt
    Community Member

When I open Safari, the 1PW button is not responsive. The following dialog box appears (enable 1PW.jpeg). When I click on "Enable" the Safari extensions tab under Preferences appears with the check box already checked (Safari extension.jpeg). If I close Preferences using the red button in the upper left corner the 1PW button now responds.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rphewitt: Indeed, you need to enable the 1Password extension in Safari before you can use it there. Safari automatically installs its App Extension from 1Password, but Apple wants users to decide what is actually enabled in their browser.

• rphewitt
    rphewitt
    Community Member

This happens every time I open Safari. Should only have to do it once.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rphewitt: 1Password locks based on your security settings. Can you check 1Password Preferences > Security and send me a screenshot? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. It would also be helpful to know the specific steps you're taking. Thanks in advance!

• rphewitt
    rphewitt
    Community Member

Screenshot of 1PW Preferences/Security is attached.

• @rphewitt

The best I could suggest at this point would be to:

1. Upgrade to Safari 12.1.1 and failing that
    2. Upgrade macOS or
    3. Use a different browser

I am sorry for the inconvenience. For what it's worth Chrome does have a bookmark syncing feature available.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.