Master Password on Mac App to unlock.

Options
jennnyc
jennnyc
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

How do I set fewer characters for the Master Password to unlock than 10 characters as it was prior. Users had the ability to just use 1 character to unlock.

1Password Version: 7.3 (70300020)
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jennnyc,

We require a minimum of 10 characters for your Master Password for security reasons, unless you are using a standalone vault, which has no such limitations. If you are looking for a way to make it easier to access your 1Password data, perhaps tweaking the auto-lock settings under 1Password Preferences > Security tab could be a safer alternative.

If you could elaborate a bit on why you are trying to do this, we can see if we are able to give you some tips though :)

• jennnyc
    jennnyc
    Community Member
    Options

@jennnyc
    We require a minimum of 10 characters for your Master Password for security reasons:
    this is only recent the 10.

unless you are using a standalone vault:
    what is a standalone vault?

auto-lock:
    0 concern nor any relation to post.

If you could elaborate a bit on why you are trying to do:
    login with fewer characters, not sure how to say another way. 1 character like i used to.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jennnyc - welcome back; long time, no see. :)

what is a standalone vault?

Standalone vaults are vaults outside of 1Password accounts, created locally on your own device. If you're using a 1password.com account, you probably don't have standalone vaults.

auto-lock: 0 concern nor any relation to post.

I think what ag_ana was trying to do was figure out a way for you to have to enter your Master Password less frequently, since the 10-character requirement for Master Passwords won't be changing. Auto-lock settings can't be bypassed either, but they can be set to require your Master Password less frequently and/or in fewer circumstances.

login with fewer characters, not sure how to say another way. 1 character like i used to.

We're not going to be changing this requirement; it's insecure. Your security, obviously, is your own business, but a 1-character Master Password will provide essentially no security; a simple automated guessing system would crack that in a microsecond. You may be in a situation where for one reason or another that doesn't matter to you, but people purchase and use 1Password primarily because they're expecting security, which is what a minimum-length requirement for Master Password helps provide.

This discussion has been closed.