1Password takes up a lot of space

JuliusH
JuliusH
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

Hi!

Ich just found out that that 1Password (version 7.3) takes up about 3,4 GB. Seems a lot to me.
Most of this data sits in a backup-subfolder in one of the following folder:
Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Benutzer⁩ ▸ myname ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ 1Password4 1,47 GB
Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Benutzer⁩ ▸ myname ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Group Containers⁩ ▸ 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits 1,57 GB

Can I delete these backups? I assume my data is backuped up online.

I know that this question was partially discussed before (here, here), however the threads I found never talked about both folders mentioned above or are rather old.

Thanks,
Julius

1Password Version: 7.3
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JuliusH - if you have a 1password.com account that you're currently using for all your 1Password data, then yes, your data is backed up online. However, even if that's NOT the case, files in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 all refer to older versions of 1Password for Mac (4-6). These can be safely deleted if you're using 1Password 7 for Mac, since version 7 stores its data - and backups - in a separate location. Deleting those backups will mean that you can never return to the previous version of 1Password for Mac and restore your data...but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that -- I'm just mentioning it as a caution before you proceed.

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits is a very different story, however: this is where all of your current (i.e. - version 7) data resides. Do NOT delete this. If you have a folder in that location called ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups then that means at some point you were using version 7 with standalone data instead of a 1password.com account. I can't really advise you regarding that, because I don't know what your setup used to be or what it is now. Here again, IF you have all your data in your 1password.com account and you know for sure you'll never need old backups of standalone data, you can delete the files from within the Backups folder...but don't delete the entire 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits folder, and be aware that deleting these files from the Backups subfolder will mean you won't be able to restore standalone data from backup if you want/need to sometime in the future.

• JuliusH
    JuliusH
    Community Member

Thank you for your detailed and helpful answer!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JuliusH - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.