display of email address for email entry

I apologise for the unhelpful nature of the title. I also apologise if this is a duplicate item. I searched for other threads on the topic. The first 15 pages of results didn't contain a match that I saw.

When I create a new entry in 1Password and select Email Account, the username (which should always be an email address for an email account, I would imagine) field type is Text. This seemed odd to me, so I edited an existing Email Account entry, changing the field type to Email.

When I saved the entry, the username/email address no longer displayed in the list of entries. It was replaced by a single hyphen (-). Changing the field type back to Text had no effect. The only way I found to get the list of entries to show the email address again was to create an new entry and leave the field type set to Text.

Is this intentional? If so, please help me understand why.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Home v1803 OS build 17134.799 (64-bit)
Sync Type: 1P default

Comments

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

I believe you input your e-mail address in the label field rather than the actual blank field for the username, @PellaAndroid. Edit the item, replace your e-mail address with the label you want (username, email, etc.), then click under that label and type your e-mail address itself. In my testing this has the username/e-mail persist regardless of field type. :+1:

• No, ma'am. I did not. The label field still reads username, which is the default. My email address is below it.

You stated that, in your testing, the name persists regardless of field type. My response to that is: You and I clearly have different computing environments. After reading your response, I altered the entry for another email account, one I had not previously altered. It behaved precisely the same as the entries I mentioned in the OP.

I have screenshots that show all of this. If you wish to see them, I request we move this conversation to e-mail.

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

I would love to see an example, @PellaAndroid. That said, it doesn't need to include real data – you can create an item with fake data in edit mode, screenshot it, and post it here if you'd like. If you'd still rather move things over to e-mail, that's a-okay as well. You can shoot an e-mail to [email protected] and I can take a peek there. If you share the support ID you get via autoreply here, that'll ensure I get to it a bit quicker. It'll look like [#ABC-123-4567]. Again, though, here with test data is fine with me if it's okay by you. Whatever you prefer. :+1:

• D'oh! Silly me. Why did I not think about creating test entries? Well, I guess that's why you're the software tech instead of me. :p

I much prefer to create test entries and display the screenshots here. More people get more benefit that way. So, here goes.

First, I created my test entry. Then I duplicated it so I would have a control subject. Apart from the name of each entry, both entries were identical at this point.

[Side note: Sliced bread has NOTHING on the drag-and-drop-to-insert-an-image-and-keep-going feature. Just sayin'.]

Then, I changed the type of the username field from Text...

...to Email...

...and saved the entry.

Et voilà! The e-mail address within the entry changes to blue text to show it is a link, and the address vanishes from the summary list on the left.

Finally, I changed the type of the username field back to Text.

As you can see, the entry again displays the address in black text, but it is forever gone from the summary list.

Since I took the trouble to create a control subject, here it is, unaltered since its creation:

Best I could do on short notice. Hope that helps.

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

Ah-ha. Thanks so much, @PellaAndroid – you said "list of entries" and I was here thinking that you're talking about the actual entries in the item details, not the address listed under the title in the item list. I see that as well – thank you!

So, first off, the username isn't necessarily going to be an e-mail address. Each service is different, but the username/password pair in an e-mail account item is going to be whatever username you enter when signing into webmail with your e-mail provider (or setting it up in your e-mail client, as the case may be). Gmail these days uses the full e-mail address, but back when I was in college, our e-mail portal just used everything before the @ symbol. I honestly can't say whether that's something that's at all common these days (it's been a bit since I graduated and all my current e-mail services use the full address), but the default to text makes sense in that context.

With that said, this is actually the intended behavior. The username field is part of the item template so it gets special treatment like having that username indexed as the subtitle right under that item title in the list. When you change it, it loses its special status as part of the template and is considered a custom field so it won't be indexed and the subtitle stops being shown. If you want to restore that functionality, you can restore the version of the item with the unaltered field type from Item History. :+1:

• I now understand why I'm observing this behaviour. Thank you.

I still do not understand why this behaviour is important. The name of the field hasn't changed. Isn't that what's important in the template? Why should changing the type of the field make a difference?

On the other hand, in 1Password's defence, what am I really going to use an e-mail link for, in the first place? A URL link, sure, but I'm not gonna send an e-mail to myself (probably).

On the other other hand, in my own defence, if it has no practical purpose, why include it in the software? And hey, if it does have a practical purpose, then why should the—ahem, "item list"—break when a user selects what is best for them? As with verbing nouns, it not sensing!

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @PellaAndroid,

Email Accounts category in 1Password are useful, if you run your own email server or want to store email server information. As you can see, it has a lot of specific fields (screenshot taken in 1Password 7 for Mac):

If you have a simple login (Gmail.com, Outlook.com, etc.). and store Username, password, and URL there, a Login item in 1Password will be enough. Moreover, it will display properly in the list of Logins:

Let me know if it helps. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file