New computer "knew" my account details

stepehen21password
stepehen21password
Community Member

I just downloaded 1Password to a brand new computer. I opened it, expecting to have to use my recovery info to populate my account. However, it recognized my account details and just needed my master password. How, and why? Note: both old and new machines are Macs.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new computer recognized account deta-ils

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

Welcome to the forum, @stepehen21password!

MAGIC. 😁

OK, not really. Frankly, good eye for even catching this and wondering how such a thing could be. But (presuming you're using the same iCloud account on both Macs), that will be the avenue by which your new Mac "knew" your Emergency Kit details and only required your Master Password. If you open Keychain Access (inside the Utilities folder in your Applications folder) and type "com.agilebits" into the search bar, you should see at least one item that looks like this:

The "B5Credentials" is your giveaway (there can be other things in there with a com.agilebits identifier, such as old standalone licenses, etcc, but "B5Credentials" always refers to the non-Master Password details of an account, which are shared among any Apple devices on which you use the same Apple ID and have iCloud keychain turned on). As soon as you signed in with the same Apple ID into iCloud, this would've been among the details you downloaded, so that IF you decide to install 1Password, you're ready to go from the jump, needing only your Master Password.

Like I said, magic. ;)

• stepehen21password
    stepehen21password
    Community Member

Makes sense, that was my guess but wanted to verify. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.