To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Documents lock-in in membership

Options
frehder
frehder
Community Member

Hello,
I was thinking about to move from 1Password Standalone to 1Password Membership for a while now and did some research about the membership. While I did that I stumbled upon something I have a question about: The handling of Login-item attachments, which you convert to "Documents" when switching from Standalone to Membership:

In your regions documentation (https://support.1password.com/regions/) you write:
„Document items can’t be copied across regions. To copy Document items, download them to your computer, then upload them to the new account.“

This made me curious and I tried some stuff:

1. If I try to export my Login-Items with file attachments from 1Password Mac App (with Membership) (File > Export > All Items…) there is an alert that says:
    ”Document export not supported Some of the items you attempted to export were documents. There is currently no support for exporting Documents from 1Password.“

2. If I try to copy/move files between vaults on US and EU Servers (Right Click > Copy to Vault / Move to Vault) then there is an alert that says:
    „Item References Found One of the items you are copying has a reference to another item. This item reference will be lost in the copy.“
    after that there comes:
    „Documents can't be moved from an account on one server to another. To move to the destination account, save the file from the document item and recreate it in the destination vault.“

3. On the Membership website is no way to bulk export any items.

So as far as I can see, the only way to get my file attachments / "Documents" out of 1Password after switching to membership would be to manually export one attachment at a time from the App (415 and counting) and loosing the connection between the Login-item and the "Document".

This is a pretty strong lock-in of my data isn't it?

Are there any plans to improve the "Documents" handling on export and/or account switching?

Best regards,
Florian

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @frehder

It is definitely a situation we'd like to improve going forward, yes. I couldn't comment on any specifics at this point. As a general rule we don't talk about features until they are ready to be released, but we do hope to make this experience better in the future.

Ben

• frehder
    frehder
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    thank you. I'm looking forward for the upcoming improvements.

-Florian

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.