1Password: Problem detected

macbates
macbates
Community Member

I have 1Pass set to sync with a local vault on each of two Macs (same folder path on each Mac), and I sync between the two Macs with ChronoSync. On a fairly regular basis (once a week or so) I'm getting a popup notification on the laptop stating "1Password Sync Problem detected Update preferences". When I open 1Pass preferences, the 'Sync' pane shows 'Also sync Primary vault with...' as 'None', where it used to show my local vault. I then have to choose my local vault again, and all is well for another week or two, after which time the problem repeats. The problem doesn't appear to be related to when I sync with ChronoSync, although I can't be positive of that. In any case, ChronoSync never show a sync conflict on the local vault, so it isn't a case of me updating 1Pass on two systems without first syncing. Any idea why 1Pass is having this problem, why it's forgetting my local vault on the laptop (but never on the Mac Pro), and, more importantly, what i can do to fix this issue?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Local vault except when it fails

Comments

• Hi @macbates

Since this appears to only happen on one system and not the other let's rule out the 1Password configuration on that system as a factor. Please make sure the data on the Mac Pro is up to date and reflects all of your recent changes and then on the laptop please open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. Then set up 1Password to sync with Folder Sync.

Does the issue still occur?

Ben

• macbates
    macbates
    Community Member

The reset and restore (set up sync from existing folder) worked well, and a quick ChronoSync showed nothing needed to sync (as expected). It will probably take a while to see whether or not this fixed the problem, so I'll update this note when and if things change. BTW, thanks for the amazingly fast response to my initial post!

• You're very welcome. I hope that sorts it out. :)

Ben

• macbates
    macbates
    Community Member

The problem keeps popping up, but infrequently. It happened again this morning, which makes the third time since my post on June 14. The message 'Problem detected - update preferences' doesn't seem to provide much in the way of information. I did notice that the problem happened today after a system freeze and forced reboot (power cycle), so maybe 1Pass is continuously writing the preferences file and left it in a corrupted state due to the power cycle?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macbates - 1Password certainly shouldn't be continually writing any file, preferences, logs or otherwise. Periodically, yes. Constantly? No. Having said that, we're about at the limit of what we can help you troubleshoot in this instance. ChronoSync is a very deep program with many settings, and it's got a bit of a learning curve to master. I'm not attempting to blame ChronoSync for the difficulty you're having, only saying that we don't have any visibility into how their sync engine - much less your own settings for it - operate.

Here's what I might propose, since this seems to be happening on only one of the Macs: suspend ChronoSync temporarily, and see if 1Password on the Mac in question syncs reliably and without error to the local folder only. If you can, obviously, try not to edit/add too much data during this time. If 1Password continues to sync reliably to the folder via Folder Sync, then it's working as expected/designed, and your issue is much more clearly with some aspect of your network or ChronoSync.

The other potential option I'd recommend, as our Folder Sync page itself states. is that if you're looking for a more-reliable method of sync, a 1password.com membership is the best way to use 1Password these days, for multiple reasons (including sync reliability and our inability to have much visibility into or control over 3rd party sync setups!).

This discussion has been closed.