Best workflow for updating password iOS

Options
reck
reck
Community Member

I had a warning on 1Password iOS to update my Facebook password for security reasons so I thought i'd best update it but I found the updating the password process on iOS very fiddly and I wonder if I'm missing something.

This is the process I followed.

In the 1Password Facebook login I clicked the URL which opened Facebook in the 1Password browser. I then went to settings in Facebook and selected update Password.

It asked for my current password which I was able to enter by clicking the little key icon at the bottom of the 1P browser and selecting my Facebook login.

Then it asked me to enter a new password and this is where I wasn't sure what to do. How do I generate a new password and have it update my Facebook login?

What I did in the end was close down the 1Password browser and opened Facebook in Safari and went to the change password screen. When I got to the part asking for a new Password I switched backed to 1Password and selected the option to create a new password. I called it facebook-temp. Then I copied the password, switched back to Safari and pasted it in. Facebook password now updated.

I then switched back again to 1Password, opened up the Facebook login, clicked edit and pasted the new password in and saved it out. Facebook login now updated.

Finally I then found the password I created (facebook-temp) and deleted it.

Is there a better method for updating passwords than this? I don't see the point of having to create a whole new password item to just then delete it once I've copied it.

I noticed the generate password option in the Facebook login but I was worried if I clicked this I would overwrite the current password and wouldn't have it to hand when I went to update it in Facebook where it asks both the current and then the new password on the same screen.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi again @reck!

Is there a better method for updating passwords than this? I don't see the point of having to create a whole new password item to just then delete it once I've copied it.

Creating a brand new password is indeed not necessary if all you want to do is update the password for an existing item.

I noticed the generate password option in the Facebook login but I was worried if I clicked this I would overwrite the current password and wouldn't have it to hand when I went to update it in Facebook where it asks both the current and then the new password on the same screen.

If you tap on the Generate New Password button in your 1Password item, your existing password will be updated, but any previous passwords will still be available under the Previously Used Password menu (right below the password field).

The process we recommend is the one that we describe here. In this article, you also have a video tutorial which shows you exactly how to update the password for a Facebook account :)

Then it asked me to enter a new password and this is where I wasn't sure what to do. How do I generate a new password and have it update my Facebook login?

At this point in your message, you were in 1Browser rather than Safari, but the procedure would look similar: after entering your current password, you can tap on the little key icon once again, select your existing item by tapping the "i" icon, and then enter Edit mode, where you can update your account password.

This discussion has been closed.