In what country or countries does 1Password store my data? Can I store it locally only on my iMac?

Options
Sengancom
Sengancom
Community Member

I am shopping for a password manager and concerned jurisdictional issues if data is stored in certain countries.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 14.5 & IOS17
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:where are passwords stored

Comments

• gordcook
    gordcook
    Community Member
    Options

@Sengancom: While you are waiting for a response from a team member, I thought you might want to read this: https://support.1password.com/regions/#choose-your-region. It might answer your question.

• gordcook
    gordcook
    Community Member
    Options

Also perhaps relevant to your question is this particular statement:

Regardless of your region, 1Password staff can’t access your saved logins or other items.

This means that regardless of where your data is stored, they have no means of decrypting your data for you, themselves, or any government agency. As long as you choose a strong master password and keep it secret, your data is safe no matter which region you choose. I hope that helps.

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member
    Options

@Sengancom

Further to the already excellent answers provided you should bear in mind that jurisdiction is not so much important with an end-to-end encrypted service.

However if the country is headquartered in a hostile nation (where E2E encryption can be subverted by legal/physical compulsion) then you shouldn't even contemplate using the service. As an example Australia can demand the insertion of a surreptitious backdoor along with other countries.

1Password is based in Canada which is okay as far as E2E encryption is concerned.

If your threat model is very high then you should only consider open source software which you (or a trusted friend) has personally reviewed.

As reviewing software isn't practical, or achievable, for 99.9% of people I'd stick with a service which has been tested and proven to be reasonably secure - 1Password is one such service.

https://support.1password.com/security-assessments/

If you're really concerned about jurisdiction then you can use 1Password in standalone mode where you alone are responsible for backing up and syncing your data. Nothing leaves or touches the cloud and everything is managed on your device.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sengancom! Welcome to the forum!

As both gordcook and gazu excellently explained already, we are based in Canada, but you can choose your data storage region when you sign up for a 1Password Membership: currently, you can choose our .com domain, or you can also choose to stored your data on our Canadian (.ca) or European domain (.eu) if you prefer :)

1Password data is protected by the same strong end-to-end encryption regardless of where you choose to signup though. Only you have the keys necessary to decrypt your data (we do not store them anywhere and we have no way to access them), so from this point of view, the region makes no difference to the security of your data.

I hope this helps!

• Sengancom
    Sengancom
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you everyone. Very helpful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @Sengancom! :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.