First Tech Federal Credit Union uses a different type of 2FA

Options
jimmyobomsawin
jimmyobomsawin
Community Member
edited June 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password is alerting me that I'm not using 2FA for First Tech Federal Credit Union. It seems that either First Tech is using a completely different 2FA scheme than the standard Google Authenticator type, or I just don't know what to use with the info I'm given.

1Password links to https://www.firsttechfed.com/tools-and-resources/tools-and-resources/what-you-can-do-to-protect-your-privacy#3

I followed the instructions and First Tech tells you to install Entrust IdentityGuard Mobile (which I didn't do because I was hoping to have it in 1Password). The 2FA registration data they provide includes both a 10-digit serial number and a 16-digit activation code.

Any help is appreciated, either instructions on what to do with those two numbers or maybe the 1Password alert that they support 2FA needs to be removed or modified.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jimmyobomsawin!

Unless First Tech Federal Credit Union also supports QR codes to configure 2FA, 1Password won't be able to work as the authenticator for this website, so in this case you will have to use the authenticator app and method that they chose.

Once you have configured 2FA through IdentityGuard Mobile, however, you can tell 1Password that this login is now protected by 2FA through an external app. To do this, please add a "2FA" tag to this item and the warning will disappear ;)

• mdm91
    mdm91
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still seeing this, by the way. Perhaps 1Password could recognize this as an incompatible site? I spent an hour trying to make it work before finding this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020
    Options

@mdm91:

Indeed, 1Password can only work with websites which support TOTP, but unfortunately we cannot know which ones do. You can however clean up the list of 2FA with the suggestion from my previous post, which I am quoting this here for your convenience:

Once you have configured 2FA through IdentityGuard Mobile, however, you can tell 1Password that this login is now protected by 2FA through an external app. To do this, please add a "2FA" tag to this item and the warning will disappear ;)

Now 1Password will know not to show you any warning related to 2FA when it comes to this website.

• mdm91
    mdm91
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, it's too bad 1Password can't flag only TOTP-compatible sites.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password identifies 2FA compatible websites with an external provider we connect to, which lists all websites that have a 2FA option.

However, we cannot tell if that 2FA feature is a TOTP or some custom made 2FA the website built, as Ana mentioned. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.