Rename Private vault

Hi, I would like to change the name of my Private vault, the one that was automatically created when I created my 1password.com account.

Details: I started using 1Password a long time with a Dropbox-synced vault, before I switched to the subscription plan a few months ago. After subsribing I have still used the old Dropbox-synced vault until today. Because I didn't want to use the Private vault, I added " (don't use)" to its name to avoid accidently adding passwords to it. For the life of me, I can't remember how I did that, but all apps I use (Mac, Windows, iOS) show the vault as "Private (don't use)". Now I have imported all my data from the Dropbox-synced vault to 1password.com and want to get rid of the " (don't use)". So, how can I rename (or delete) this vault?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1903
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @Kromi.

I'm almost sure that we can't change the Private vault name. As per this thread, I quote:

@iCoco - no. That option is not currently available, as the Private vault is one of the default vaults in a 1password.com setup which cannot be edited.

Now, it's very strange that it has taken the name from your previously name vault. Have you tried going to Home > Manage Vault **(the gear icon under the vault card) > **Edit Details?

As I'm not a 1Pass team member, this is as far as I can help you, so definitely wait for a response from them.

Have a great day!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Kromi: I think there just might be some confusion. The Personal/Private vault in a 1Password account cannot be changed/removed. So I think you may just have an old local vault still int he app. What do you see when you sign into your account on 1Password.com in your browser?

• KromiKromi
    edited June 18

@brenty On 1password.com/home I see my vault boxes: "All Vaults", "Private", and six more that I have created yesterday. In the "Private" vault box there's also the text "Your default vault for storing items." If I click on the "Manage Vault" button in the "Private" vault box, and then on "Edit Details", I get no details to edit. Just as you said, I can't rename or delete it.
    In the 1Password 7 app, I see the same vaults as on 1password.com, extept for one: Instead of "Private" there's a "Personal (don't use)" vault. These two are actually the same: On 1password.com I just copied an entry from one vault to "Private". A second later that same entry appeard in the "Personal (don't use)" vault in the app.

To make things more confusing: My old local Dropbox-synced vault (which I have removed from all 1Password apps on all devices yesterday) was called "Private".

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Kromi: Ah gotcha. That makes sense. If you'd named your local vault syncing with Dropbox "Private" that would certainly cause some confusion with the "Private" vault which is built into your 1Password account. Just to clarify, it sounds like you were able to remove the old vault, so you're just using the account everywhere now. Is that correct? If so, you should be good to go. But if there's anything I can help with, let me know. :)

• @brenty Actually there is something: I want to get rid of the " (don't use)" suffix, hence my initial question. On 1password.com everything looks great. But in all 1Password apps (on macOS, iOS, Windows) the private vault appears as "Personal (don't use)". How can I change that?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Kromi: That's a really good question. To clarify, are you seeing that in all of the apps? Do you only have them setup with your 1Password account now? If so, I'm afraid I'm not sure how you'd change it now, or how you managed to in the first place. Maybe we had a bug with that in the past, though I don't remember anything like that. Do you recall how/where/when you did that?

• @brenty Yes, I see the same in all apps. And yes, I have removed the old local vault from all apps now. Unfortunately I don't remember how I changed that. I'm pretty sure I did it in either the Mac app or the iOS app, though. It's hard to tell when I did it, a few months ago I guess.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited June 23

@Kromi: Thanks! That does start to ring a bell. Can you shoot me an email as [email protected] with a link to this discussion and a diagnostics report from the Mac? I'll do some digging and see if I can figure this out.

ref: EDV-16729-174

• KromiKromi
    edited June 23

@brenty Done. Hope that helps.

ref: EDV-16729-174

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Fingers crossed! I'll get back to you via email shortly. Thank you. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file